• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

'feeding' a burrowed G Pulchra? (+missing leg/live feeding?)

kitlimon

Hey all!

so my brazilian black sling came in at the beginning of this month. it ate the day after it arrived & then exactly a week later. After that feeding the sling dug a nice deep burrow and covered it. That was 2 weeks ago, which I know isn't long in hidden spider time. They came out the other day when I was refreshing the water and I noticed they'd lost a leg, and now they've gone and disappeared into the substrate again. I've seen a lot of folks saying that happens sometimes & that it should be fine long term. (I did take out the hide I'd left them [doesn't seem to matter since they're good and buried now] to be safe.)

I'm just wondering if I should be leaving something to eat in overnight occasionally in case they come up or just let it be until they resurface. & whether it's safe to feed live (so far seems to be the sling's preference) with a missing leg/injury? I wont' leave live in overnight, but in general I'm wondering if it's a concern.

sorry if this seems obvious, this is my first spider & I want to do the best by them & the lost leg has shaken the confidence I was building up

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd feed once a week and remove uneaten food after 24 hours. They can feel the vibration of the food item even down in the depths and will come out if they're hungry.
As for the missing leg, don't worry it will manage fine without it and after a moult or 2 it will grow back.

kitlimon

I'd feed once a week and remove uneaten food after 24 hours. They can feel the vibration of the food item even down in the depths and will come out if they're hungry.
As for the missing leg, don't worry it will manage fine without it and after a moult or 2 it will grow back.

I hadn't heard about them feeling the food moving 0.0 that's pretty awesome! I'll leave them something tonight then and see if they're interested! & a couple of molts is what I'm seeing around about the leg, so I'm glad they'll be okay. I feel bad for them though, just losing a whole leg!! crazy!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I hadn't heard about them feeling the food moving 0.0 that's pretty awesome! I'll leave them something tonight then and see if they're interested! & a couple of molts is what I'm seeing around about the leg, so I'm glad they'll be okay. I feel bad for them though, just losing a whole leg!! crazy!

They don't seem to feel it. If they injure a leg they will just cast it rather than be hindered by it.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Last year I brought 4 so called gimps from the Spider shop. That is 4 B grade T's. All 4 had a leg missing.

My experience was they seem to molt earlier when they need a new leg. So within a few months, all 4 had 8 legs again & all 4 had new leg that was very slightly thinner than the other 7. Second molt on all 4 resulted in 8 identically sized legs.

It's an amazing universe.

kitlimon

Last year I brought 4 so called gimps from the Spider shop. That is 4 B grade T's. All 4 had a leg missing.

My experience was they seem to molt earlier when they need a new leg. So within a few months, all 4 had 8 legs again & all 4 had new leg that was very slightly thinner than the other 7. Second molt on all 4 resulted in 8 identically sized legs.

It's an amazing universe.
I'm so impressed by these guys every time i learn something about them! I'm glad you brought your 4 home. & it's good to know they might molt a little earlier-I'll keep an eye out for any changes.

Latest posts