• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fan for air flow or Am I overthinking this?

Tabitha

3 Year Member
o.k, so I admit I’m a bit nervy and doing my research, does anyone fit a small computer usb fan to create a bit of air flow or even a heat mat for rising air flow at the base of the unit if in a cabinet?
I have a floor standing glass display cabinet, I’ve taken the doors off and will have my sling pots in there, my house is definitely airy! it’s old and has no insulation so air flow as standard is good but do I need to improve it in the cabinet? Just a thought, maybe a low power fan pushing air up and out. Obviously I will make sure the avic containers have air holes for cross ventilation though.
Many thanks

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Those fans are often used in frog enclosures. They work fine. Air movement also is needed to keep orchids healthy...

Tnoob

I'm not sure I would as most fans near an enclosure may dry out substrate quickly. I'd say go for it, but you may need to change some of your habits.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you all for your advice, yes I thought the more air flow the more it dries out...argh..how to get a balance!? So I’m thinking no fan then? I had thought about it purely in the proximity of the sling pots, definitely not at one side of them on the same shelf, more as an overall air quality improvement, so low speed and in the area but definitely not directly on the slings.
I will have the enclosure with low holes, for updraft, mainly high holes for top air flow and then a few on the top so it’s not too humid, and spraying twice a week?
I do appreciate all your help.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it were me I wouldn't worry about a fan-we've all got many slings either on some sort of shelving or in a glass terrarium of some sort and the slings are just fine without a fan-I think it could be more trouble than its worth as by the sound of it you already have quite good ventilation...
I think this is out of fear of loosing another Avic,we can never 100% guarantee any sling is gonna survive but only provide the best we can for our Ts which going by all your wonderful photos you look after yours fantastically:)
good luck with whatever you decide to do and with your future slings;)

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thanks Kellie, I’ve tried to set everything up well so I’m hoping they will do o.k, and yes, it’s always a bit of natural selection that goes on, but it’s still hard when you lose one.
Thanks again and for the comments too, and I’ll let you know how they get on. Im just wondering how many tarantulas is it humanly possible to fit into one bedroom?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Kellie, I’ve tried to set everything up well so I’m hoping they will do o.k, and yes, it’s always a bit of natural selection that goes on, but it’s still hard when you lose one.
Thanks again and for the comments too, and I’ll let you know how they get on. Im just wondering how many tarantulas is it humanly possible to fit into one bedroom?
How many have you got so far?:) I have at least 100 in my bedroom!:D( I really must have a count up...)
I know its hard to lose any Ts...I too lost an avi avic sling due to moulting and I was absolutely gutted about it as it was doing so well and I had it from a 1cm sling and it had just about reached juvie stage when I lost it:(
I tried my best for it and that's all I could do -so its only worth giving it another go I think?:)

Tabitha

3 Year Member
How many have you got so far?:) I have at least 100 in my bedroom!:D( I really must have a count up...)
I know its hard to lose any Ts...I too lost an avi avic sling due to moulting and I was absolutely gutted about it as it was doing so well and I had it from a 1cm sling and it had just about reached juvie stage when I lost it:(
I tried my best for it and that's all I could do -so its only worth giving it another go I think?:)
Yes, mine died after molting too.
100 hundred?? That’s incredible! Oh I’m a real lightweight, I just have 23!
It is hard to lose one, my very first juv was a hamorii and it was ill when I first got it, but I cried so much when it died! and that was when I was still a arachnophobe.
I’m still in shock at over 100! That’s awesome! Maybe we should start a poll on how many Ts you can get in one room? :D

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, mine died after molting too.
100 hundred?? That’s incredible! Oh I’m a real lightweight, I just have 23!
It is hard to lose one, my very first juv was a hamorii and it was ill when I first got it, but I cried so much when it died! and that was when I was still a arachnophobe.
I’m still in shock at over 100! That’s awesome! Maybe we should start a poll on how many Ts you can get in one room? :D
we already know whos won that poll(in the uk ) its got to be @Phil he probably has more Ts than all of us on the forum put together!:)
sorry to hear how upset you were when you lost your T:( I'm like that too! terrible really but you can help but love these little guys:)
I didn't aim to get quite so many (100 is a guestimate...it might be more!) but when you see something you want...theres no stopping you getting it! well that's my excuse anyway;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
we already know whos won that poll(in the uk ) its got to be @Phil he probably has more Ts than all of us on the forum put together!:)
sorry to hear how upset you were when you lost your T:( I'm like that too! terrible really but you can help but love these little guys:)
I didn't aim to get quite so many (100 is a guestimate...it might be more!) but when you see something you want...theres no stopping you getting it! well that's my excuse anyway;)
I have bout 600 but don't forget 400 are new babies so only really 200? LOL

*edit. Not all in my bedroom. Vast majority are in a purpose built "spider house"

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@ilovebrachys thanks, I know, we get so attached to them, I only had her a few days too.
So 100+ for you,
600 for Phil! but that’s o.k, because some are babies, Designated spider room, that must be awesome,
I bought myself a large garden shed and insulated and kitted it out for my Chameleons and lizards, who knows, that could make a nice spider house.
and 2000! OMG, imagine feeding and watering 2000?
Those are impressive number guys!

Latest posts