• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Facebook experts.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A few weeks ago someone posted on FB about not being able to keep their humidity levels up. Apparently the substrate kept drying out & reducing the humidity level. :oops:o_O
iu

Now it could be that I am missing something here. But I have always thought that it was water in the substrate evaporating. That is the substrate drying out. That caused higher than room humidity levels & I know topping up water levels in substrate is the common sense solution. But common sense did not stop the FB experts advising the sealing up of some ventilation holes in the enclosure, as this apparently increases humidity. And although it is true that stagnant air is generally more prone to causing dampness in our homes & in our T's enclosures. It also causes problems too, as both we & our T's need air circulation & the less circulation any area gets, the more prone to mold & other stagnant air problems our respective homes become prone to.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There are aspects of this advice that are prudent and may be more applicable for some species than others

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m late to this one, but after almost two years being a part of Facebook groups, I have come to expect at least 100 of those types of posts a day, not only that, but I’ve noticed they tend to constantly emphasize misting and citing youtube as the best source for information, which is cringeworthy.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’m late to this one, but after almost two years being a part of Facebook groups, I have come to expect at least 100 of those types of posts a day, not only that, but I’ve noticed they tend to constantly emphasize misting and citing youtube as the best source for information, which is cringeworthy.
Misting enclosures is for people with few tarantulas and too much time on their hands to be on FB all day to advise others to mist

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Misting enclosures is for people with few tarantulas and too much time on their hands to be on FB all day to advise others to mist

I have to admit, I mist some of my enclosures. I like to use a small area of moss, even with desert species, as that gives them a small moist area, as well as the water bowl. I also have some live moss over bark & a set up with live plants.

MBullock

3 Year Member
my favorite is the hatred of sand. and when informed that this sand is bound with clay (like excavator), they then claim it's 'too coarse, scuffing up the membrane on book lungs'.

its because they bought huge bulk orders of coco fiber and theyre trying to sell it and people buying sand and clay and vermiculite and potting soil arent buying coco fiber.

you can keep a tarantula on pure vermiculite. same with trapdoor spiders. its actually a decent substrate that holds structure well.

but they wont tell you that :p

theres another dirty secret too- eco earth is lightly moistened not for ease of use, but because that saturation increases weight, and therefore the product is more expensive. a similar tactic is present in the soft plastic fishing lure industry- some makers incorporate salt to increase weight.

Latest posts