• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Extra Large Kritter Keeper?

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Was wondering if anyone has used an extra large kritter keeper for any of their adult T's?

Have you had any issues with any escaping? Any recommendations for it?

Seems like the lid is thin plastic so was just wondering. Got one in today from amazon for when my T. albopilosum reaches 5 inches.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

E

ExMember

I keep a lot of my sub adults in the smaller ones. And a larger G pulchripes in one of these:

41NKiffUqOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've never had a problem. For the G pulchripes I have put something over the sliding door on the left just to weigh it down a little bit.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have many of these. Never had a problem, never weighed the lids down (unless the clicking motion is broken) and yet to have a T that was worked out how to slide the door across so I think you are safe. Fine for terrestrial Ts up to about 5 or 6 inches max. Only down side suppose is that they dont allow for much substrate depth so bear that in mind. :)

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Here is a photo of the one I got 14 3/8 L bottom, 15 L at the top, about 10 3/4 height all in inches. It's gonna weigh a ton as I'm filling most of it with substrate so he don"t fall an have butt explode.

Attachments

• 20200407_132908.jpg
    20200407_132908.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I tape up the inside lid with duct tape to restrict air flow. They have way too much ventilation. Make sure the sticky side faces outward to the spider doesn't get stuck. I have all my kamikaze mature males in these. Much safer environment from harming themselves. They are also great for temporary enclosures for maintenance and breeding.
20200402_124825.jpg

E

ExMember

I have many of these. Never had a problem, never weighed the lids down (unless the clicking motion is broken) and yet to have a T that was worked out how to slide the door across so I think you are safe. Fine for terrestrial Ts up to about 5 or 6 inches max. Only down side suppose is that they dont allow for much substrate depth so bear that in mind. :)
Good points @Phil ! I wouldn't keep a large burrowing spider in one but works great for terrestrials! The cool thing is that my G pulchripes uses the whole tank as it wanders a lot (for a spider)!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tape up the inside lid with duct tape to restrict air flow. They have way too much ventilation. Make sure the sticky side faces outward to the spider doesn't get stuck. I have all my kamikaze mature males in these. Much safer environment from harming themselves. They are also great for temporary enclosures for maintenance and breeding.View attachment 44599
agree with the breeding. put a divider in the groove you can see in @Arachnoclown pic and then lift up and boy meets girl. or just put a male in to an established home the female has made. either way works. :)

E

ExMember

These are my absolute favorites. The plastic has way better clarity and the feeding hatches are great. Put my Pterinopelma sazimai in a medium and it's better for keeping a bit of humidity in. For this tarantula I have a corner that I spray and it's large enough to accommodate that. Will eventually rehouse all my adults into these. Kinda pricey though.

breeding_box_set.jpg

Soulman

I keep a lot of my sub adults in the smaller ones. And a larger G pulchripes in one of these:

View attachment 44596

I've never had a problem. For the G pulchripes I have put something over the sliding door on the left just to weigh it down a little bit.
I've sold those, the tops flex when you open and close can be a bit tight.And sometimes they get broken.used to get returns now and then.ok but I think they were ferplast,but very similar.but it looks good for ventilation.

Soulman

I tape up the inside lid with duct tape to restrict air flow. They have way too much ventilation. Make sure the sticky side faces outward to the spider doesn't get stuck. I have all my kamikaze mature males in these. Much safer environment from harming themselves. They are also great for temporary enclosures for maintenance and breeding.View attachment 44599
Cool pic

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Smithi or hamorri?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have 4 XL kritter keepers with tarantulas occupying three of them (P. cancerides, E. campestratus, T. albopilosus). They are pretty good, but I'm moving away from kritter keepers in general simply because I prefer adding my own ventilation, but yes kritter keepers serve their purpose.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Thanks to all who reply. I forgot to mention I use the smaller ones and duct tape the inside and out to keep humidity in. The lids are better plastic. This extra large one seems the plastic lid is flimsy that was my major concern.

Some of you use them and have no problem so I'm good with that, thanks. Sweet T Arachnoclown.

Last edited:
These are my absolute favorites. The plastic has way better clarity and the feeding hatches are great. Put my Pterinopelma sazimai in a medium and it's better for keeping a bit of humidity in. For this tarantula I have a corner that I spray and it's large enough to accommodate that. Will eventually rehouse all my adults into these. Kinda pricey though.

View attachment 44600
Where do you get these?? I've been wanting a small one for my T. vagans, but can't figure out where to get one!

Latest posts