• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo-Terra screen modification

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why not just cut the screen out but leave 1/2 an inch?

Then you can just flip it over and drop the acrylic right on top of it until the glue dries. After that put either electric tape or thin molding on the other side of it.

It may or may not be easier to cut the screen rather then pull out glued insulation. The attachment of the screen is extremely secure.

Round vents could also be added. I'd have to get another cover to do the conversion because my Versicolor is happily residing within the enclosure. He tends to avoid the screen unless a feeder somehow runs across it.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Heres a quick how to DIY video...$3.00 for the plexiglass and $4.00 for the silicone.

Nice video, it looks easy enough.
Do you know if anyone has had spiders caught in the flimsy plastic fly screen? It's soft and pliable and easily torn so I don't think claws would actually get caught in it. I have a cube enclosure with a slotted hard plastic lid and before knowing I would have spiders I glued plastic fly screen under the lid so Lychas scorpions and crickets weren't likely to escape, although given the chance it doesn't take long for a cricket to chew through it. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced a T getting caught in it or heard of it.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive seen my A. Chalcodes put her fangs in the screen before so they might rip through that... @Dave Jay
Yeah, it's under the plastic slotted cover so they wouldn't escape. It's just that if I cut it off it'll look terrible, I use a water proof glue that sets hard so it would be near impossible to remove it neatly. I would think that if a claw was to get hooked in it if the flexibility didn't let them get free they would be able to tear themselves loose, I just wondered if anyone had experienced any problems with that mesh before .

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Why not just cut the screen out but leave 1/2 an inch?

Then you can just flip it over and drop the acrylic right on top of it until the glue dries. After that put either electric tape or thin molding on the other side of it.

It may or may not be easier to cut the screen rather then pull out glued insulation. The attachment of the screen is extremely secure.

Round vents could also be added. I'd have to get another cover to do the conversion because my Versicolor is happily residing within the enclosure. He tends to avoid the screen unless a feeder somehow runs across it.
If that's how you want to do it that could work... Not the look I was after though. Arboreals dont have a problem with these screen tops...only terrestrials. I placed a piece of plywood on top the enclosure with a brick while i worked on the screen top. As for rounded vents...I highly do not recommend those... their a ticking time bomb for adult Ts.
20180325_093951.jpg
I've had a Avicularia avicularia and a Poecilotheria ornata both rip through. I'd never house an adult with those vents ever again.
The problem with rounded vents is the cut screen is right on the ring edge...once they sink their fangs in it takes no pressure at all to tear it.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Heres a quick how to DIY video...$3.00 for the plexiglass and $4.00 for the silicone.

Looks good! I saw a new product line out by Zilla. Same style of enclosure as the Exo Terra but theirs has an acrylic top option. I've never used ther stuff but thought it was a good idea. I'm glad you mentioned that about the rounded vents, I've always wondered how durable thy are. Currently only my sling enclosures have them but I will keep this in mind for adults. Nice work on this, thanks for the video!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It depends on the screen. The ones in the vents aren't bonded. Terra Blue enclosures have smooth heavy duty bonded screens that can hold a snake back.

My scorpion and my L klugi both live in these and neither has even tried to get out.

Bonding a screen is fairly easy. I might do a video on it in the future if there's any interest. The devil is in the details.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
It depends on the screen. The ones in the vents aren't bonded. Terra Blue enclosures have smooth heavy duty bonded screens that can hold a snake back.

My scorpion and my L klugi both live in these and neither has even tried to get out.

Bonding a screen is fairly easy. I might do a video on it in the future if there's any interest. The devil is in the details.
You seem to have it all figured out, you should post a video so we all can see...

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nothing important to add, just dropping in to say i would never buy enclosures with screen tops for housing tarantulas, while not the most attractive, sterilite bins from dollar general are great for saving space to add more new adds to the collection. As for acrylic tops, now those are much better than screen tops, if and when i get a P. antinous (or whatever they are called nowadays) or a P. solaris, only then would i consider buying a tank like that and doing a modification.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nothing important to add, just dropping in to say i would never buy enclosures with screen tops for housing tarantulas, while not the most attractive, sterilite bins from dollar general are great for saving space to add more new adds to the collection. As for acrylic tops, now those are much better than screen tops, if and when i get a P. antinous (or whatever they are called nowadays) or a P. solaris, only then would i consider buying a tank like that and doing a modification.
I've got bins and shoe boxs full of Ts as well...just like to see a few of my favorites.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always try to get max visibility so I don't have to open the enclosure to see what's going on and to avoid nasty surprises. It's rather odd that they don't have glass or acrylic tops as upgrades. The visibility is also a safety factor especially with anything fast that has a medical significant bite.