• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo Terra B. Smithi

Alyssa Martin

Hello,

I had a question for one of the future tarantula's I wish to have.

I absolutely love Exo Terra tanks, as I have one (18" 18" 24") for my Whites Tree Frog and it's just a stunning enclosure.

So the question is what are your thoughts on keeping a full grown Mexican Red Knee in a 12" 12" 12" exo terra? I'm aware that the lid would need to be acrylic with drilled holes.

However does a 12 12 12 provide enough room for substrate and would it allow them enough room to create a burrow if I filled it up as much as possible with substrate (right below the vents/door). Do they tend to web up the door's so access is only possible on the top?

I would only have a a very small collection so cost isn't an issue, and as far as my research tells me this is the only species I like that have the possibility of being in an exo terra.

Is this cage suitable with the lid modification for a Mexican Red Knee?

Alyssa

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A smithi would be fine in one. Brachys are not an active species, in my experience. If its a juvie it may burrow, but most likely it will sit on top of the nearest rock or cork, in all its glory, waiting for you to drop feeders in :) If it was a Phormictopus or a gbb, an active species, I'd say more floor space. But a smithi will do fine. You could make a few premade burrows just to give it more leg room, if you wanted. They just dont move around much.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would only have a a very small collection so cost isn't an issue, and as far as my research tells me this is the only species I like that have the possibility of being in an exo terra.
Don't make us have to start enabling, we are quite good at it and we don't hold back. In other words, once we start posting pictures like this one:

IMG_20180807_183953_010.jpg

The idea of only owning a small collection becomes a thing of the past.

(The picture is of one of my G. grossa after a molt)

Whoops, It's beginning, the enabling has already commenced.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
@Alyssa Martin I think you may have already seen that the Exo Terra tanks have both fans and detractors. Some people like them and some don't. We might even call them "controversial" {gasp…} I've bought a few and am trying them out to see for myself. So far I like them and have had no problems with them. Currently I have a 4" Grammostola iheringi in an 8" Nano cube, a 3" G. pulchripes in an 8" cube, and a 3" Poecilotheria rufilta in a Nano Tall. I haven't needed to change the top screens for any of them yet, and they are working fine. The only modification I did was to shave off the little stand offs on the back of the styrofoam back wall insert with a long bladed razor knife to eliminate those channels. I want the background to sit flat against the back wall of the tank and I don't want the tarantulas getting back there.

About the metal screen tops. What I've observed in my own collection and here on the forum is that sometimes with some tarantulas, the wire tops can be a problem. They can get their feet stuck on them and they can rip through them too. Other times, the spiders live contentedly behind or under these screens and its no problem at all.

If you decide to try it, just keep an eye out for these problems. If these problems never materialize, you'll have a nice looking cage that you are happy with. If these problems do occur, you can change out the top, and then have a nice looking cage that you are happy with.

Alyssa Martin

A smithi would be fine in one. Brachys are not an active species, in my experience. If its a juvie it may burrow, but most likely it will sit on top of the nearest rock or cork, in all its glory, waiting for you to drop feeders in :) If it was a Phormictopus or a gbb, an active species, I'd say more floor space. But a smithi will do fine. You could make a few premade burrows just to give it more leg room, if you wanted. They just dont move around much.

Thanks for the reply!

Glad to hear this is a possibility! I've got some plans for the other species I wish to keep (custom made acrylic cage) since the exo terra won't work for that one. I'm so glad to hear that an Exo Terra would work for a smithi however!

From the responses on my other thread many said they just sit on the top of the substrates and are a perfect viewing species so I am glad I can use a matching tank!

Thanks so much (you've been very helpful in both threads!)
Alyssa

Alyssa Martin

Don't make us have to start enabling, we are quite good at it and we don't hold back. In other words, once we start posting pictures like this one:

View attachment 32085

The idea of only owning a small collection becomes a thing of the past.

(The picture is of one of my G. grossa after a molt)

Whoops, It's beginning, the enabling has already commenced.

Oh gosh! I only have so much room haha. I'm already trying to hold myself back and I haven't even got any yet!

I'm sure I'll get sucked into more especially with gorgeous tarantulas like the photo provided! I'd like to pretend I'll only have a small collection but seeing how others in the hobby have gotten more and more I'm sure I'll be the same :)

Thanks for the photo!
Alyssa

Alyssa Martin

@Alyssa Martin I think you may have already seen that the Exo Terra tanks have both fans and detractors. Some people like them and some don't. We might even call them "controversial" {gasp…} I've bought a few and am trying them out to see for myself. So far I like them and have had no problems with them. Currently I have a 4" Grammostola iheringi in an 8" Nano cube, a 3" G. pulchripes in an 8" cube, and a 3" Poecilotheria rufilta in a Nano Tall. I haven't needed to change the top screens for any of them yet, and they are working fine. The only modification I did was to shave off the little stand offs on the back of the styrofoam back wall insert with a long bladed razor knife to eliminate those channels. I want the background to sit flat against the back wall of the tank and I don't want the tarantulas getting back there.

About the metal screen tops. What I've observed in my own collection and here on the forum is that sometimes with some tarantulas, the wire tops can be a problem. They can get their feet stuck on them and they can rip through them too. Other times, the spiders live contentedly behind or under these screens and its no problem at all.

If you decide to try it, just keep an eye out for these problems. If these problems never materialize, you'll have a nice looking cage that you are happy with. If these problems do occur, you can change out the top, and then have a nice looking cage that you are happy with.

Yes I've seen the other threads, most from 2006 and 2013 however. Just wanted to see if the overall opinions changed any :)

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems especially with the top. I'd like to keep the mesh if possible but should they decide to climb I will of course change that.

I hear you on that back wall! I've got my frog with one and he tries to climb into it all the time! Hint he doesn't fit because he's to fat. Not to mention the feeders that always got back there, such a pain lol. I put tissue back there for my frog, however I know a T is way more determined then a frog. So I'm glad you mentioned that!

Thanks so much!
Alyssa

Latest posts