• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosures

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Who me?

I would never do that!!

H pulchripes what sex 1.jpg
P vittata Bonnie 8.jpg
P striata Patrick just molted 11.jpg

H pulchripes Hybris cage care 1.jpg

The H pulchripes matured out as a male.

I got a suspect male and suspect female P vittata slings as a trade. I was informed that Hybris did attempt pairing successfully and then stopped eating and passed away after being sent to a second breeder. Sadly enough, no egg sac resulted.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The middle ones are pokies. The top and bottom was my H pulchripes, which matured out.

Clyde, my male P vittata is much harder to photograph them the others. He hides mostly but can literally snatch a cricket in mid air no matter where you toss it in the cage.

You only see a blur.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The males are obviously even faster then the females. They aren't at all mean spiders but your do need to plan for containment when unpacking or rehousing.

Wait for them to dive for cover before opening up the enclosure.

You will NOT have time to grab a catch cup!!

That's why I use a large tote with cold water and a block to place the cage in the middle. One toe in the cold water and they go back up to running in circles.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are other Harpactira species as well. They aren't actually bad to keep & you can always get a cooler, put in water that's about 55 to 60 degrees one third of the way to the top.

Then, you find a block and put the cage in it and close it up for 2 to 4 hours. After that, the T will be slowed down enough to become tractable.

Do NOT "shock" them in the fridge!!

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
The males are obviously even faster then the females. They aren't at all mean spiders but your do need to plan for containment when unpacking or rehousing.

That's why I use a large tote with cold water and a block to place the cage in the middle. One toe in the cold water and they go back up to running in circles.
I know I’m new on here but I’ve had tarantulas my entire life (old worlds). I have never heard of anyone placing their tarantulas in cold water to rehouse them. Totally bizarre.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know I’m new on here but I’ve had tarantulas my entire life (old worlds). I have never heard of anyone placing their tarantulas in cold water to rehouse them. Totally bizarre.
I understand your point of view-this is what forums are all about debate and discussions and sometimes disagreements! :(
which method do you find best to rehouse your OW ? :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

My Hysterocrates gigas would just probably go for a swim. :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

You don't place them in cold water. You put cold water in the cooler. Place a block in the middle. With the tarantula still in the cage, you put it on the block.

The cage and tarantula therein become the same temperature as the water, be it 60 or 55 etc. Making it airtight creates a microclimate just like putting the cage in a garage that's 60 degrees or whatever.

At no point does the tarantula become wet. The temps cool down and slow down a faster species.

In a sense tarantulas are like old fashioned steam engines. The hotter they are, the faster they run.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Hysterocrates gigas would just probably go for a swim. :D

You put the entire cage in the cooler closed as normal. The micro climate inside cools down the cage and everything in the cage. I would NOT open the cage until it's cooled off fully & you're ready to move it.

At no point does the tarantula come into contact with the water. The water simply absorbs the heat and equalizes the temps indirectly, just like putting it in a garage that's 60 degrees.

The advantage is that you don't have to wait for mother nature to give you the right temperature.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
You put the entire cage in the cooler closed as normal. The micro climate inside cools down the cage and everything in the cage. I would NOT open the cage until it's cooled off fully & you're ready to move it.

At no point does the tarantula come into contact with the water. The water simply absorbs the heat and equalizes the temps indirectly, just like putting it in a garage that's 60 degrees.

The advantage is that you don't have to wait for mother nature to give you the right temperature.
I totally understood what you where talking about. Are you overcoming a phobia of spiders? That would be the only reason I see to do this. Then it would make sense to me. Seems like a lot of extra work beyond working inside a dry oversized catch tub like most beginners do. Like I said before I’ve worked with arachnids and other keepers for over 30 years and your method is unique. Thanks for the explanation again.

Latest posts