• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure too big?

Sherito

My lovely little grammostola rosea is soon going to be too big for her current enclosure (picture attached). I am going to rehouse her in a new home that is is 8" long x 6" wide x 6" high. Even though she doesn't seem to burrow, I added enough substrate so there is only 3" to the top from the substrate. I was concerned about her falling, so I added enough so if she falls she will not get injured. The decorations on the new enclosure are not complete. I need some opinions as to whether the more experienced people in this group thinks this new space will be too much space. She just molted and is now 1.375 - 1.5". She is currently in an enclosure that is 4" long x 2" wide x 2" high.

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_160724.jpg
    IMG_20210815_160724.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210815_155306.jpg
    IMG_20210815_155306.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 39

timc

3 Year Member
I’d probably let her go another molt or two. She still seems pretty small and has plenty of room. There’s really no rush to get her into a bigger enclosure. Got her from FNT did you?

Sherito

I’d probably let her go another molt or two. She still seems pretty small and has plenty of room. There’s really no rush to get her into a bigger enclosure. Got her from FNT did you?
Thanks for the feedback. I think i am just anxious for her to get bigger and move in to a bigger place. I did get her from FNT.

timc

3 Year Member
I understand. Is this your first tarantula? If so, the most important thing this hobby will teach you is patience. Especially with that species lol. Tarantulas exist in almost completely different time from us, from feeding, to growth, and even needing a new home. They’re never in a hurry lol.

Sherito

I understand. Is this your first tarantula? If so, the most important thing this hobby will teach you is patience. Especially with that species lol. Tarantulas exist in almost completely different time from us, from feeding, to growth, and even needing a new home. They’re never in a hurry lol.
It is not. I had one 20+ years ago but was an adult female when I got her. I had her for 10 years before she died. This is the first sling that I have had. I know that the grammostola rosea are notorious for growing very slowly. I got her in October 2020 when she was probably 3 months old and she didn't molt until May of 2021. I live in Maine and we do keep our house cool in the winter so i am sure that contributed the the long time before her first molt since I got her. Since the molt in May, she has molted twice, about 6 weeks apart so I am hoping that in a few months I will see a lot more growth.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I have been guilty of oversizing my enclosures, although I am getting better at avoiding that.
Part of that comes from realizing that the larger the enclosure, the more space the prey has to hide. It's not such a problem when I use disabled superworms, but I plan on diversifying my tarantulas ' menu.

My 3" + male G. rosea spends a lot of time outside his den, in his 8x6x6 enclosure, although in recent weeks he has greatly expanded his cave. I think that most likely it came as a result of the recent hot weather in Maine.

Lately all of my tarantulas have spent a lot of time surface side, even my G. rosea slings

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
BTW I’m quite the minimalist personally, and probably wouldn’t change a thing about her new enclosure lol
I have been guilty of oversizing my enclosures, although I am getting better at avoiding that.
Choose your sling enclosures like you do Tupperware, use 1-2 sizes smaller than you think you need and it usually turns out well.

Smaller enclosures ensures your sling will find prey and they you can easily monitor it's feeding and caretaking.

Big fan of smaller enclosures for slings here.

TokeHound

I totally understand the excitement of wanted to upgrade enclosures. The first time one of my T's molted under my care I was so stupid happy and wanted to rehouse right then and there :p