• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure For 4” curly hair

CrankyCraig

Can you folks recommend a good display enclosure for a 4” female T albopilosum Honduran curly hair? Or at least proper dimensions? Thank you very much in advance.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sure. Lots of substrate. They love to remodel their homes alot. Mostly dry. I use coco fiber and I overlow my water dish weekly. The enclosure should have good ventilation. As a general rule, anything smaller then 2x their body length (8 in in this case) is probably too small. You can set up a real handsome enclosure if you'd like, but he/she will likely bulldoze it the way the T wants. Congratulations on the aquisition. Great choice!!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For enclosure, 10x10x8" tall would be perfect, if not a 12x12x8. Fill with 4" of densely packed substrate, add a hide and a good size water dish. You will have to empty it of substrate and clean it often lol.

For substrate I prefer mixing Coco fiber and peat moss 1:1. It holds firm and packs down better to create a really solid surface and it feels like digging in earth. You can add some vermiculite to hold moisture for sp that like a more damp sub. Add sand for obligate burrowers.

For tliltocatl, I would over flow the water dish once a month in a corner and let it dry out. Your T will show you what it prefers by where it burrows/lays.

CrankyCraig

I picked up a 20.5 in long x 10.5 in wide x 8 tall Creature den I found cheap. I’m thinking in the future of ordering a nice acrylic enclosure. But I could find this local and it didn’t break the bank.

I got some coco fiber substrate I’m going to mix up then wring the heck out of it and let it dry until Tuesday morning when she arrives. Also got some cork and half a wood round to make her a hide. I also got some Moss & a very shallow but wide drinking bowl she can drag substrate through .

thank you for helping a newbie out!

Latest posts