• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Egg sac

Doozer

3 Year Member
Going to be breeding N. Tripepii and possibly A. Geniculata in the near future. I have never paired any Ts before. Is it better to pull the sac or leave it with momma. If it is better to pull the sac, when should it be pulled?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Let the great debate commense!

Some will tell you pull it early and some will say leave it. I have had much better results leaving it with the mother, but there is always the slight risk of mom eating the sac.

If you pull it early be sure to have the incubator set up properly. No matter how much I tried I always had problems with flies getting in my incubators. They seemed to get in no matter how small the mesh was on the vent holes.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I would say leave with mother let nature take its course maybe have better response doing a poll .

Doozer

3 Year Member
Let the great debate commense!

Some will tell you pull it early and some will say leave it. I have had much better results leaving it with the mother, but there is always the slight risk of mom eating the sac.

If you pull it early be sure to have the incubator set up properly. No matter how much I tried I always had problems with flies getting in my incubators. They seemed to get in no matter how small the mesh was on the vent holes.
Ok thanks. when should the sac be pulled?

Doozer

3 Year Member
I’ve never worked with either of your species, but its usually about 30 days. Give it more time for slower-growing/ developing species. Fast growing species like Psalmos can sometimes be pulled in 20-25 days and have ewls.
Thanks again. I'll research their growth rates.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hahahaha....obviously nobody has had to try to separate a 1000 slings from the mom inside her enclosure. Pull the sack at 28 days...;)
20191123_120039.jpg

Doozer

3 Year Member
Thanks, I'm glad you added the pic. I might have found that quite odd and unsettling if you had just said to use panty hose as a cure for flies.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
@Metalman2004 Heres your cure for flies....View attachment 42110
Panty hoes/stockings my friend. ;)

Thats exactly what I’m going to have to do. I started with a sterilite tub with a couple of holes covered with screen. When I realized flies were going to be an issue I got a new tub that with a foam seal that was supposed to be airtight and the same screen. Still didn’t keep them out so I put hose over the holes. Still got in somehow. The only other thing I can think of doing is using a container small enough to be completely enclosed in the hose.

Side question, do you undo the knot and turn the sac multiple times a day or do you have some technique so you don’t have to fight that knot over and over?

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
I let a mom keep a sack once. That was the worst thing I could ever do. I accidentally killed a few trying to separate them in the moms enclosure. Let nature take its corse in nature, not captivity. I’m just looking out for the little guys Saftey now. I was gutted after accidentally crushing a few. Just my two cents.
:beer:

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Thats exactly what I’m going to have to do. I started with a sterilite tub with a couple of holes covered with screen. When I realized flies were going to be an issue I got a new tub that with a foam seal that was supposed to be airtight and the same screen. Still didn’t keep them out so I put hose over the holes. Still got in somehow. The only other thing I can think of doing is using a container small enough to be completely enclosed in the hose.

Side question, do you undo the knot and turn the sac multiple times a day or do you have some technique so you don’t have to fight that knot over and over?
I’ve been over @Arachnoclown spider cave, he doesn’t tie a knot in the stockings. He just pulls it down, that’s the toe of the stocking on top in the picture. As for turning of the sack, I’m not sure what he does. I personally wait 30 days before pulling the sack so they are eggs with legs and you don’t have to rotate them anymore.

Doozer

3 Year Member
I let a mom keep a sack once. That was the worst thing I could ever do. I accidentally killed a few trying to separate them in the moms enclosure. Let nature take its corse in nature, not captivity. I’m just looking out for the little guys Saftey now. I was gutted after accidentally crushing a few. Just my two cents.
:beer:
Ok thanks for the advice.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Side question, do you undo the knot and turn the sac multiple times a day or do you have some technique

I've never had to turn a sack... @sdsnybny can answer that maybe.

Latest posts