• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating but Abdomen Shrinking

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
Hi...My E.campestratus has probably lost at least half of it's abdominal size over the last 3-4 weeks.(REALLY dramatic size decrease!) I have seen it eat good sized red runner at least 3 times during that time period. This is a spider I purchased as a small sling approximately 1 1/2 years ago so it is not really an 'elderly' spider. It has been very active and continues to cruise alot! Any ideas what might be going on? I am becoming concerned at this point but suspect there's nothing I can do but continue good care.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
Thanks so much....have been keeping water bowl carefully full 24/7...but will try bigger runners - although since T is large it gets the larger ones when I do feed - and it has been ignoring some of them( have given both males and females - I usually feed 2x/ week).......it's a puzzlement.....thanx again - keeping a close eye on it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try feeding it an earth worm that isn't more then twice as long as the tarantula. These are occasional treats, not a steady diet. Earthworms have a high moisture content and lots of calories.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pictures would definitely help if at all possible, might I suggest superworms or mealworms.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
thanks everyone for your kind answers... yesterday I fed 'Pink' an earthworm...scarffed it right up...today I managed to get the spider out in full view for a photo and perhaps the idea that abdomen is very small is an illusion because of the absence of all the setae - i don't pester or handle my spiders so i don't know why the 'baldness' - I've never seen this spider flick hair...have posted photo...spider continues to behave in what I consider a 'normal' spiderly fashion...again - perhaps the smallness was just all in my head!

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    736 KB · Views: 279

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree, looks like premolt. Sometimes the legs and body will appear to be slightly slimmer. I haven't seen this all that much in mine, but I've heard that this makes it easier for them to get out of the old exoskeleton.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
That’s a mature male. The chances of it moulting again are highly unlikely.

It’s abdomen will continue to shrink as its lifespan comes to an end.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I usually feed my larger terrestrials one earthworm per month in addition to the usual feeders. It keeps them happy.

Earthworms and Hornworms will bulk up practically any invertebrate.

Latest posts