• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Easter egg sac miracle :)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Easter morning and this is happening :)
7D4FC40D-AD87-4C97-B4FD-3ACBA5F34253.jpeg

Jenniferinfl

I was just going to start a thread asking if anyone here kept mantids.

I just ordered my first ones, a couple orchids, a ghost and a couple Popa spurca. I've never kept them before, but, trying to encourage my kid to enjoy inverts and thought maybe mantis could do the trick since she liked the orchid mantis in Animal Crossing.. lol

What species is that? How many did you have to buy to end up with a pair? Do you keep a few kinds?

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I kept Hierodula membranacea free in one room with a lot of plants. I had a male and a female and it did not end good for the male. But I had many little ones. Not easy to feed… :)

Jenniferinfl

I kept Hierodula membranacea free in one room with a lot of plants. I had a male and a female and it did not end good for the male. But I had many little ones. Not easy to feed… :)
I wish I could free range anything. Unfortunately, several cats live here. To them, all bugs are nomnoms.. lol

I imagine they would go through a ton of fruit flies when small.

MrGhostMantis

I just ordered my first ones, a couple orchids, a ghost and a couple Popa spurca. I've never kept them before, but, trying to encourage my kid to enjoy inverts and thought maybe mantis could do the trick since she liked the orchid mantis in Animal Crossing.. lol

What species is that? How many did you have to buy to end up with a pair? Do you keep a few kinds?
Hymenopus aren’t really a beginner species. Very touchy, give ‘em good ventilation, stagnant air kills.

Jenniferinfl

Hymenopus aren’t really a beginner species. Very touchy, give ‘em good ventilation, stagnant air kills.

Yeah, I was going to skip ordering them, but, they're so rarely in I figured it was pretty much now or who knows when. The directions for them are so much like avics, I thought I might be okay if I kept them like a big avic. I only have one Caribena now, but, I've raised a couple avics from slings to adulthood, so gambled I might be able to do it.

What I did with Avics was used a bigger enclosure, which made it more of a pain to make sure they were eating, but, did give them a ton of ventilation and a humidity gradient because I just misted the wall and dampened the substrate on one side. But, I know doing it that way, I'm going to have to be really careful to basically add prey items right in front of them.

And, unfortunately, it sounds like they die easily for no apparent reason even if everything is perfect. Kind of a bummer.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

This was an egg sac made by a wild female that was given to us. We live in North East US so is what we have around here :)

Latest posts