• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dying t

James1975

Hi every one I came home the other day and my juvi acanthscuria geniculata looks like she is dying.she is motionless she was on her side.she has recently molted which was fine anybody with any suggestions why this is happening.

AndrewClayton

Hi every one I came home the other day and my juvi acanthscuria geniculata looks like she is dying.she is motionless she was on her side.she has recently molted which was fine anybody with any suggestions why this is happening.
Pics please describing it isn’t enough. Ts will do loads of crazy stuff and get in some mad positions after a moult so it could just be that

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Really sorry to hear this. How recent was the moult? Could you please post a picture which may help shed light on what the problem is.
Typical causes could be dehydration (they usually need to drink extra water after moulting), injury like a fall, or something else could have gone wrong with the moult, however a lot of times if they've had a bad moult it's quite immediately apparent. Although there are other things that go wrong that take a while for us to notice.
If she is showing any sign of life gently place her mouthparts over the water dish. Or you could turn her over and slowly drip a few drops of water onto her mouthparts, one drop at a time, and look to see if she is sucking them in. Check to see if she is leaking fluid from anywhere. If so, apply cornstarch with a paintbrush to staunch the bleeding. That's about all I can suggest now without further info. Fingers crossed for you.

James1975

Really sorry to hear this. How recent was the moult? Could you please post a picture which may help shed light on what the problem is.
Typical causes could be dehydration (they usually need to drink extra water after moulting), injury like a fall, or something else could have gone wrong with the moult, however a lot of times if they've had a bad moult it's quite immediately apparent. Although there are other things that go wrong that take a while for us to notice.
If she is showing any sign of life gently place her mouthparts over the water dish. Or you could turn her over and slowly drip a few drops of water onto her mouthparts, one drop at a time, and look to see if she is sucking them in. Check to see if she is leaking fluid from anywhere. If so, apply cornstarch with a paintbrush to staunch the bleeding. That's about all I can suggest now without further info. Fingers crossed for you.
Can she be constipated as she has been dipping her abdomen in the water.

James1975

Here's the pic
Here is the pic
15705569455082338369423416715440.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
They can suffer from impaction, which is incredibly rare, noone is 100% sure on the cause, but one theory is an incomplete moult can cause a blockage that prevents them from passing waste. However, signs of impaction take a while to present themselves so I highly doubt this is what is happening here.
Is there anything else that is worrying you about her behaviour? Otherwise, it sounds like the stuff T's do after moulting.

James1975

She molted about 2 weeks ago I left her for a week then tried her with food took it no probs.when I got home from work she was lying on her side with her legs crunched up.then tonight she has been dipping her ass in the water. And now she has walked over to her hide and one of her legs looks broke.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
If she has injured a leg, say from a fall, don't worry. If it is injured or broken she will drop the leg herself and will regrow another at the next moult. She may even moult sooner due to this.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Won't T's often try to get themselves wet around molting? I agree that it sounds like it's probably just the weird stuff they do after moulting. I'd say keep an eye on her and make sure she has enough water so she can stay hydrated, and report back with pictures if she does anything else weird. Definitely watch for if she starts curling up, that would mean that she's either stressed or very dehydrated, depending. The two curls are different but can sometimes be hard to tell apart.

James1975

Won't T's often try to get themselves wet around molting? I agree that it sounds like it's probably just the weird stuff they do after moulting. I'd say keep an eye on her and make sure she has enough water so she can stay hydrated, and report back with pictures if she does anything else weird. Definitely watch for if she starts curling up, that would mean that she's either stressed or very dehydrated, depending. The two curls are different but can sometimes be hard to tell apart.
thanks but she was fine after the molt and she went back to normal I've noticed she is huging the moss she was fine but I don't know I will keep u informed.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I think she'lk be ok but any worries in the future don't hesitate to post on here to put your mind at rest.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I can definitely relate, I've had mine for three and a half years but I still worry that I'm doing something wrong all the time. I have dreams about it sometimes too, about her or some other T I have (in the dream) dying or almost dying. I just have to try to remind myself that, logically, there's probably nothing wrong with her.

p.s. I would guess that something wasn't right about the first molt so she had to do it again? And that she was dipping herself in the water to help loosen up and soften the exoskeleton for another molt.

Last edited:

Latest posts