• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dying T, from a fall! HELP! Pleas

Hi.

I need some help ASAP!
Feel so awful right now.
As, I was moving the Slings into another room. Grammastola Pulchra Sling. About 3cm/7 months old.
(moving enclosures) so I could better keep an eye on them, as the other room has more light.

Really can't be certain how or how long the T enclosure was on the floor floor for! I do not think it was longer that say 10mins.
As I must of somehow knocked the enclosure over and not heard it hit the floor (large rug).

I do not handle them. But as I had knocked over the enclosure... Wanted to check on the spiderling!
I can not see anything ruptured... Or any clear fluid/obvious deflation of abdomen. But is obviously stressed, and possibly dying? But can not say for sure, if theirs a tiny rupture that I can't see!
The enclosure had a mini plant pot (thin plastic) hide and a fabric an plastic green leaf for decor.

Is their anything I can do? I am pessimistic, this sling will survive. From what I can briefly search... Slings handle falls better than larger ones... Some say they survive... Others say they don't!? And to put them on a tissue lined enclosure, to keep an eye on them.

The sling seemed to be in a death curl. Feet tucked under abdomen... But was still wiggling its legs when I was checking for ruptured area's.

I do not know if their is anything I can do, unless it's just a "wait and see" what happens.

I moved them as I thought they dould be safer in another room, with less walking about to help them settle in. I haven't even had them a week yet... I feel like such a crappy owner!
These are my first ever T's.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_173113~2.jpg
    IMG_20200823_173113~2.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20200823_173244~2.jpg
    IMG_20200823_173244~2.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20200823_173035~2.jpg
    IMG_20200823_173035~2.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20200823_173051~2.jpg
    IMG_20200823_173051~2.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 126

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd put it back in its enclosure and leave it be - there's little you can do but watch and wait hopefully it will be OK.. Any handling can cause unnecessary stress so don't be tempted to poke it about or pick it up,
Just make sure it's water dish is nearby for it - hope that helps :)

I'd put it back in its enclosure and leave it be - there's little you can do but watch and wait hopefully it will be OK.. Any handling can cause unnecessary stress so don't be tempted to poke it about or pick it up,
Just make sure it's water dish is nearby for it - hope that helps :)

I have not messed with the T since I checked this one over. But doesn't seem to be moving or anything.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Does it appear to be leaking fluid anywhere? If not, there's nothing you can do for internal injury if there is any. If it was leaking fluid I would say to use some corn starch or super glue and apply it gently to the area to prevent further bleeding. I hope your T baby is ok.

Please try not to beat yourself up. We have all done stupid things--and in some cases (me) after 6 years, I still do. Experience is the best teacher--and the only way to get to an expert level is to bump and stumble along the way.
Thanks ever so much.
Morbid question, how long would it take for s/he to pass? Could the sling be stressed and make a recovery, or would a few feet fall be sure to kill? As his legs where sprawled o, but I just put some moss on, incase s/he can't get to the water to drink from, and front legs are curled in... Like a death curl.
Its awful! I am sitting here not knowing if the animal is dead with just muscle memory movements, or if the sling will be OK, I have no clue. And sitting here contemplating buying a replacement... But part of me thinks I should wait... But don't want to end up waiting too long and not being able to get another sling!
What should I do!?

Going by your photos that is not a death curl, the abdomen is dark so it could be premoult.
Sadly not enough is known about our little friends yet so much of their care is watch, wait and hope for the best.
OK. Well you're the second person that said this... So I hope s/he is in premolt, how do i know the difference?
Could it be a coincidence that the animal ate yesterday/day before, had this fall an is not dying but in premolt?
I really hope you guys are right. As I'd hate to be "another person panicking over..."

Going by your photos that is not a death curl, the abdomen is dark so it could be premoult.
Sadly not enough is known about our little friends yet so much of their care is watch, wait and hope for the best.
I spoke to the guy I got them from, he said the smaller one is due a molt! It's the smaller one that fell! Finger's crossed!
I hope I am wrong on th is and the Sling is go in into pre molt.
As I keep staring through the enclosure and sling seems to be moving a little, not really moving from the spot though.
All I can do is hope that's what's happened, and the fall didn't kill him/her!
It just didn't occur to me till my memory was refreshed... When I baught them... The seller said the smaller one was due a molt. And its the smaller one that had the fall. Must of been a good 3.5foot fall... Enclosure went flying, cant believe I was so careless.
So far theirs some movement, and I'd of guessed the sling would of died 8hr post fall?

I will keep you all updated. Hopefully s/he is stressed and not dying.... That sounds dreadful!
Hopefully the sling will be OK and I will learn to be more careful.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I spoke to the guy I got them from, he said the smaller one is due a molt! It's the smaller one that fell! Finger's crossed!
I hope I am wrong on th is and the Sling is go in into pre molt.
As I keep staring through the enclosure and sling seems to be moving a little, not really moving from the spot though.
All I can do is hope that's what's happened, and the fall didn't kill him/her!
It just didn't occur to me till my memory was refreshed... When I baught them... The seller said the smaller one was due a molt. And its the smaller one that had the fall. Must of been a good 3.5foot fall... Enclosure went flying, cant believe I was so careless.
So far theirs some movement, and I'd of guessed the sling would of died 8hr post fall?

I will keep you all updated. Hopefully s/he is stressed and not dying.... That sounds dreadful!
Hopefully the sling will be OK and I will learn to be more careful.

That's all we can do, learn from our mistakes and we all make them.

Does it appear to be leaking fluid anywhere? If not, there's nothing you can do for internal injury if there is any. If it was leaking fluid I would say to use some corn starch or super glue and apply it gently to the area to prevent further bleeding. I hope your T baby is ok.
I have cornstarch, but that's why I handled the sling as I thought I had killed the poor thing!
Don't worry I am not going to dip the sling in cornstarch.
Anyway my reasoning for handling was a nessesery one. To check for injury. I couldn't see any split abdomen or and milky/clear "blood" anywhere, the substrate was a little darker, but that could be from spraying yesterday an possibly from condensation. I assumed their must of been an injury! As I dont know at what point I knocked the enclosure over. *face-palm*
I'd say a good 10min possibly longer.
Went back in the room, went ti sit down, *mortified face* saw sling enclosure on the floor!

They have been through a lot this past week. Received them only 5 days ago, poor soals where shipped, rehomed, fed and one fell, possibly going into pre molt and not dying... All within 5 days. I'd probably curl up in a stress ball after that if I was a sling!
Poor fuzz baby!

At least s/he had a good meal before molt... Fingers crossed that it's just a crazy coincidence.
I feel so bad now... Probably really streeed the sling out handling in pre molt... Thinking I killed the poor guy/girl.
I feel like a right twit.

Thanks all ever so much!
You really have helped give me hope. I was almost certain I had accidentally killed him/her... But now... I know theirs hope.. My poor sling!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have cornstarch, but that's why I handled the sling as I thought I had killed the poor thing!
Don't worry I am not going to dip the sling in cornstarch.
Anyway my reasoning for handling was a nessesery one. To check for injury. I couldn't see any split abdomen or and milky/clear "blood" anywhere, the substrate was a little darker, but that could be from spraying yesterday an possibly from condensation. I assumed their must of been an injury! As I dont know at what point I knocked the enclosure over. *face-palm*
I'd say a good 10min possibly longer.
Went back in the room, went ti sit down, *mortified face* saw sling enclosure on the floor!

They have been through a lot this past week. Received them only 5 days ago, poor soals where shipped, rehomed, fed and one fell, possibly going into pre molt and not dying... All within 5 days. I'd probably curl up in a stress ball after that if I was a sling!
Poor fuzz baby!

At least s/he had a good meal before molt... Fingers crossed that it's just a crazy coincidence.
I feel so bad now... Probably really streeed the sling out handling in pre molt... Thinking I killed the poor guy/girl.
I feel like a right twit.

Thanks all ever so much!
You really have helped give me hope. I was almost certain I had accidentally killed him/her... But now... I know theirs hope.. My poor sling!

I wouldn't worry or stress too much about it. They're troopers for sure. Don't dismiss the worst possible outcome but hope for the best! I'm sure your sling will be fine if just left be and stress free for a few days. :)

I wouldn't worry or stress too much about it. They're troopers for sure. Don't dismiss the worst possible outcome but hope for the best! I'm sure your sling will be fine if just left be and stress free for a few days. :)

I hope so!
I will keep you all updated, on this thread.
Really did think I'd killed my poor T!
Thanks to you all, ever so much. I am so much more happier now.
Maybe the sling was in premolt when she/he fell... Can all but hope.

Hi folks.

I am sorry to say. The sling died.
Their was a white patch under him, I flippd him/her over, and their was a clear glistening underside abdomen.
Maybe I should of used cornstarch, but then again, I had noticed discolouration in the thorax, so I assume internal bleeding/rupture, that was to small for me to see.

I am so gutted!
So baught a replacement to chear me up and a few difrent Tliltocatl Albopilosum (cheeky Curly hair) the really floofy ones! And a Davus Pentaloris (Guatemalan Tiger Rump).
They should be here in a few day's.

Latest posts