• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dubias for 1" C. Versicolor?

Basilisk

So I'm a total noob to spiders! There's a place near me that has a couple 1" C. Versicolor, but I'm not really sure what size prey I'll need. I have a breeding colony of Dubias for my reptiles, will the smallest size work for a juvenile?

I can feed wax worms or something, but it would be cool if I could just use what I already have.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
General rule is half the size of the T.
I have a dubia colony as well and my smaller slings won't eat dubia as they don't move enough. My bigger T's will scarf them as soon as I drop them in but my slings are more shy and don't pay them much attention. If they aren't taken as soon as they are dropped in then by the time the T is interested the dubia have buried themselves and can't be found.
Maybe if you crush the dubia head then the T will get to them later.

Basilisk

General rule is half the size of the T.
I have a dubia colony as well and my smaller slings won't eat dubia as they don't move enough. My bigger T's will scarf them as soon as I drop them in but my slings are more shy and don't pay them much attention. If they aren't taken as soon as they are dropped in then by the time the T is interested the dubia have buried themselves and can't be found.
Maybe if you crush the dubia head then the T will get to them later.

Okay, good to know! I can pick up some crickets or something instead.

Edit: and thank you for the advice!

Last edited:

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Do you have access to some small red runners? Those things never stop running around.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I think Mr. P is right about this. I have a tiny little versicolor sling and he doesn't bother the red runner pinheads, lobster roach pin heads or anything else I've offered. I have to hand feed the little bugger pinhead lateralis roaches on the end of my pointy forceps. Thinking of trying some aphids like I do for my mantid hatchlings. I can't wait for him to molt and get a little bigger. I have a one inch A. purpurea and he'll take his own red runners, but man, this little versicolor needs to get with the program...

Mr. P

3 Year Member
For my smaller slings I just cut up some superworms and they come out in the middle of the night and scavenge off of them.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
For my smaller slings I just cut up some superworms and they come out in the middle of the night and scavenge off of them.
I've done that, and although I didn't see it, I think it worked, but I want to see the little fella takin' prey! I always feel better when I see him grab the little roach off my tongs, because that's the only way I know for sure he is eating. He hasn't molted for me yet, so I'm a little worried about how much scavenging he is doing on what I leave for him.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What you can do is to use small crickets, but they have to be chilled and disabled for the safety of a small sling.

Place the cricket into a container and chill it in the refrigerator not the freezer for an hour.

Remove the back legs and all legs on one side. Use 2 pairs of tweezers for this. Place the disabled roach back into the fridge for 15 minutes to half an hour.

Place the disabled motionless cricket into the tube web. As the cricket slowly revives, it'll attract attention from the tarantula which will kill and eat it.

Latest posts