• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia Roaches?

Sarah Joy

3 Year Member
I was contacted by someone who said that feeding my spiders crickets was insufficient for their nutritional needs. That is what I was told to feed them since I got them. This "concerned T owner" also said that dubia roaches were the only thing they should eat and that I should consider selling my Ts to somone who knows better. Nobody in an almost 3 hour radius even sells them! So as a newer T hobbyist, I am starting to wonder... to dubia or not to dubia?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dubia, are better. Yes. But whoever told yo that Dubia is all they should eat was either just being a jerk, or was a complete snob. Crickets are fine, the only problem is that they can bite, so they need to be removed if not eaten within a day.

Sarah Joy

3 Year Member
Thank you. I have never had a cricket last through the day. I feed towards night because the cobalt comes out sooner to eat that way. So if I end up getting dubias, should I grow a colony myself? Is that normal?

Sarah Joy

3 Year Member
How? Do I just look it up on (ick) google? I am all for quiet and odorless. Will the Ts just switch from crickets to roaches? You in the last week have become the tarantula god to me. Thanks.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How? Do I just look it up on (ick) google? I am all for quiet and odorless. Will the Ts just switch from crickets to roaches? You in the last week have become the tarantula god to me. Thanks.

Try roachcafe.com They sell a starter kit and have a pretty nice care sheet.
And yes, most Ts will have no problem switching.

Sarah Joy

3 Year Member
So... you can just (gulp) pick them up and toss them in? I have tongs but I am always afraid to squeeze them to death. I do plan on ordering a starter kit Monday. What count size should I start with... Only having three Ts to feed?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So... you can just (gulp) pick them up and toss them in? I have tongs but I am always afraid to squeeze them to death. I do plan on ordering a starter kit Monday. What count size should I start with... Only having three Ts to feed?

yes you can. Don't worry, they're much cleaner and easier to handle then crickets.
I think 50 is a good starting number. that way you can feed some off and let the rest breed.
You'll need a 10-15 gallon tote(cut a hole in the top and crazy glue a screenin place) . I feed mine Oats and citrus, and keep them at 85*. When cleaning, all you have to do is lift up all the egge crete and put it into a new tote. then scoop up all the stragglers (shouldn't be many) and that's it. Good Luck.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they have a pretty tough shell, so I think they would be harder to squish with tongs than crickets.

The original guy who told you to give up your T's because you are feeding them crickets is a jerk! There are many of us who do not have the option to feed roaches, and crickets are a more than viable option for our T's.

Sarah Joy

3 Year Member
Yeah. I new it was jerky and mean but it really made me think twice. I had learned not to listen to everything google says. That is why I needed a good forum. I had a friend that relied on info from google and ended up killing a waterdragon by not feeding it right. That made me really open up to suggestions on how to care for my pets better. I really appreciate all of your feedback. But as far as the roaches go... I am excited about them because I hate crickets!!!! ha ha ha

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Roaches are great! I keep em as feeders, but I genuinely enjoy keeping them lol.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of mis-information, and outdated information out there. Maybe in 10 years we'll find out what we're doing now is wrong. But until then we just have to get informed, and do the best we can. I'm a man of one forum (this one) because this is just a place to share, as opposed to a boxing ring.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I keep putting off ordering some dubia.. lol, need to get around to it soon... I got a tote set up and ready to go, just need to get the roaches :p

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
More important than what you feed your T is what you feed the feeders. Well fed feeders are the key. Always gut load your feeders for a day or two before offering up as prey.

dragonfly_dust

3 Year Member
The question of getting a roach colony has less to do with whether it is better for your Ts but whether your Ts can keep up with the roach's reproductive rate!

I had a dubia colony. From my experience, their size made it convenient to feed larger Ts. However once the colony was established...I got overwhelmed. Too many roaches and not enough mouth to feed. Unless you have a giant (20+ animals) collection of animals (Ts and reptiles alike) that can eat large volumes of roaches...don't get a colony!!

Even cost of even getting small amounts of roaches at a time mailed is not worth it if crickets are cheaper and you understand gut loading!

Sarah Joy

3 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up! I contacted roachcafe.com and because of the time of year they can't guarantee when they will be able to mail the roaches due to freezing weather conditions. I may need to wait until spring when I also plan to expand my collection so it may just work out then. I am actually getting my husband turned on to Ts so he may want to start with a few. :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up! I contacted roachcafe.com and because of the time of year they can't guarantee when they will be able to mail the roaches due to freezing weather conditions. I may need to wait until spring when I also plan to expand my collection so it may just work out then. I am actually getting my husband turned on to Ts so he may want to start with a few. :)

awesome.. gotta love it when the spouse joins in.

Sarah Joy

3 Year Member
I have decided to get my pet shop lady into this. She said I am the first person to ask about dubias (I am her only T customer), but if I can build a need with more customers, she just may start carrying them. What other pets eat these guys?

Latest posts