• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does anyone use real (live) plants in their enclosure?

scrible

3 Year Member
I have an aloe vera plant in my P. scrofa's enclosure. It is a desert plant, and has survived very well in the eco-earth substrate. Every few weeks a put just a little water at its base. They don't need much water at all to survive. I decided to give it a shot in the substrate as it was an offshoot from my larger aloe plant that needed removed so I just relocated it.

What do you guys think? Is there any harm that this can cause the T.? My P. scrofa really likes trying to climb it, although he usually is not very successful at it.

IMG_2475.JPG

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have an aloe vera plant in my P. scrofa's enclosure. It is a desert plant, and has survived very well in the eco-earth substrate. Every few weeks a put just a little water at its base. They don't need much water at all to survive. I decided to give it a shot in the substrate as it was an offshoot from my larger aloe plant that needed removed so I just relocated it.

What do you guys think? Is there any harm that this can cause the T.? My P. scrofa really likes trying to climb it, although he usually is not very successful at it.

View attachment 8263
Hello
In the beginning I tried live plants,that went wrong in a few ways. If you're succeeding nice,but for me I went back to plastic ones more time to put into my tarantulas haha.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Do you have it potted at all or just planted in the eco-earth? If it's just in the eco-earth it's gonna be a pain to take out for cleaning.
I've never used live plants for any of my exotics. Too much trouble when the animals are fine with fake ones IMO.

scrible

3 Year Member
Do you have it potted at all or just planted in the eco-earth? If it's just in the eco-earth it's gonna be a pain to take out for cleaning.
I've never used live plants for any of my exotics. Too much trouble when the animals are fine with fake ones IMO.

The nice thing about these aloe plants is that they barely root at all, and can be pulled out of the substrate really easily without killing the plant. That makes it super easy for cleaning purposes.

Poec54

3 Year Member
The nice thing about these aloe plants is that they barely root at all, and can be pulled out of the substrate really easily without killing the plant. That makes it super easy for cleaning purposes.

The downside to aloes is that they need a good deal of light to stay alive, and tarantulas aren't fond of bright light.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Hi I have planted a couple of tanks some with success and some not but still in early stages .I started doing it after planting a cactus in Brachypelma Boehmei enclosure and witnessed it touch it with one or two legs for couple of hours or more .Think sometimes we take for granted how sensitive there touch may be .Heres my C.Meridionalis enclosure with some of succlents in it and cactus .
SAM_4118.JPG