• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does a tarantula let us know it is hungry?

TheFlash

OK so fluffy, my OBT juvenile. The seller said that I should feed a small roach once a week. I've only had the guy for a couple weeks. He's burrowed which is cool. He never really comes out of the burrow (I thought they were big webbers. No visable web) anyways. He stays hidden.
Except... Today he was hanging out at the very edge of his burrow and coming out a little bit. I fed him and he pounced on it... But it was odd since I fed him a few days ago (Saturday) a big cricket... but it seemed like he was hungry. Or is he staying in his burrow because he's digesting... And if I lay off the food he will come out and start doing the super webs I thought I would get?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It took my juvenile OBT a while to start webbing after I got her. You'll probably find it will construct a tunnel of web going upwards from the burrow possibly covering it with substrate. They also have a habit of decorating both inside and out with bits of its moults, I hardly ever got a full exo from mine.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When its hungry it will be out in the open hunting or sitting at the entrance of the burrow ready to pounce!!! They are optimistic feeders...they will keep eating like theres no tomorrow...instincts tell them to. You should however keep them on a schedule. It doesnt hurt them to go a little while between meals.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like a schedule for me....I feed slings and small juvies once a week. large juvies and adults every two weeks. They wont starve to death. Ive gone 2 weeks with slings and they are just fine. Water is the most important thing to make sure is there.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If it's not the "feeding day" and I see them out hunting I still wait. I just make a mental note they are ready. I also have a few hundred Ts so I keep to a schedule for my sanity. :confused::D

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I never see my T's drinking ... I'm. Almost sure my OBT hasn't drank yet
It will...may have when your sleeping. That's when they are the most active...when we sleep.
20181205_100014.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding schedule, I feed my eight legged resistance on Fridays (Mondays as well for slings and smaller juvies). It is possible to overfeed. Imagine feeding a P. cancerides every time it is hungry, no amount of food will satisfy them.