• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do vinegaroons lay unfertilized egg sacs?

uscpsycho

3 Year Member
I've had my vinegaroon for eleven months. For the past few months she has been very fat. I was afraid I was overfeeding her so I cut her back to one cricket every 10-14 days. That didn't seem like very much but in another thread I was advised that in the wild they eat once every 2-3 weeks and I shouldn't feed mine until it looked fat. I thought mine was FAT so I held back, turns out she was gravid, not fat.

Anyway, she has been alone for the entire time I've had her. Is there any possibility these are viable, fertilized eggs? Can gestation be that long? I've read from another breeder that it takes eight months but 11 is quite a bit longer.

While she was fat I did a lot of research, everything I saw said that they get fat like that either because they are actually fat or because they are about to molt. I didn't see anything about being gravid.

Any advice would be appreciated. If there is a possibility these are viable eggs I want to take proper measures to help ensure they are hatched.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hmmm. yeah that's odd. I don't know a lot about them. I have one though. I don't think the science community in general knows a whole bunch about them. So keep a record of observations like that.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've been told, science doesn't even know for sure which scorps and related critters can perform virgin births asexually or not.

The mystery is interesting. My scorp was sold caught and pregnant, 22 scorplings resulted and I found a pet store capable of rehoming them quickly.

Latest posts