• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do Ts need silence?

Bibster

Hello, i was wondering because ive never seen someone talking about silence and calm environments for the Ts. I keep my T in my room, where i do my usual stuff, listening to music, talking, etc. Should i keep it somewhere else more quite?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've kept them all over the house, and they seem pretty adaptable and unaffected. I try to keep light cycles at around 12-13 hours on and then off the rest of the time, but I don't think even that is a big issue.

I wonder if it matters more for some of the more skittish species that are new to me. Hopefully more members will chime in.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've read regarding scorpions vibrations can effect their hunting prey so a tarantula would be effected in the same way, they warn against placing them near vibrations from a fish tank or perhaps a fridge, things that create background vibrations that are sporadic or vary. Placing a piece of foam under the enclosure will minimise disturbance and is a good idea anyway, glass tanks can crack if the surface they're on is uneven especially when vibrated, I have a few friends that had aquariums crack when they cranked the music up (of course a tarantula tank doesn't have the weight of an aquarium).
I guess it just depends on how loud the music is, my kids have music in their bedrooms so loud that the pictures on the wall in the loungeroom vibrate and things fall off shelves in the kitchen, I wouldn't recommend having a tarantula in their rooms at that point! Having music at a reasonable volume shouldn't be too bad, especially if you have the enclosure on some foam. I'm pretty sure that they learn to ignore certain vibrations after a while, at first mine would bolt when I spoke near the enclosures, now they're not bothered at all. If you're worried keep an eye on your tarantula and see if it does react to your music, if it panics or scrunches up in a corner then maybe put some foam under the enclosure and reposition the speakers.

Bibster

From what I've read regarding scorpions vibrations can effect their hunting prey so a tarantula would be effected in the same way, they warn against placing them near vibrations from a fish tank or perhaps a fridge, things that create background vibrations that are sporadic or vary. Placing a piece of foam under the enclosure will minimise disturbance and is a good idea anyway, glass tanks can crack if the surface they're on is uneven especially when vibrated, I have a few friends that had aquariums crack when they cranked the music up (of course a tarantula tank doesn't have the weight of an aquarium).
I guess it just depends on how loud the music is, my kids have music in their bedrooms so loud that the pictures on the wall in the loungeroom vibrate and things fall off shelves in the kitchen, I wouldn't recommend having a tarantula in their rooms at that point! Having music at a reasonable volume shouldn't be too bad, especially if you have the enclosure on some foam. I'm pretty sure that they learn to ignore certain vibrations after a while, at first mine would bolt when I spoke near the enclosures, now they're not bothered at all. If you're worried keep an eye on your tarantula and see if it does react to your music, if it panics or scrunches up in a corner then maybe put some foam under the enclosure and reposition the speakers.
ok so it seems it wont be a problem, the music isnt that loud, and thank you about the foam advice

Solsurfer

Mine seem to enjoy doom metal . They might relate the music to feeding time because they come out and hang on the sides. Or it's coincidence haha . I used to have pictures of all of them out against the same side of the enclosures . It makes me laugh . That's really the only time I play music btw when I'm feeding.

bbbs53

3 Year Member
They don't respond to music or voices very much. However, fireworks seemed to bother them, hard and loud vibrations. I keep mine in the living room and she does jump once in a while if there is a sudden clunk, but not regular doors opening and closing or to the music I play. I would say you are probably not going to disturb it with normal sounds. The light cycle is pretty important but not something to go crazy over, just be aware of it. Like most things, our lovely pets seem to tolerate us in their stride and don't get to excited over our routines.

Latest posts