• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DKS?

x_raphael_xx

Hi all,
My g.pulchra sling is making very jerky movements, I'm worried it may be DKS.
I haven't tried to feed her as she's kinda plump still. She's about 5cm/2 inches.
Here's a quick vid, I'm tapping on the enclosure just to get her to move for the vid, I don't normally disturb them like that.
She's right next to all my others who seem fine, and I don't use chemicals etc in the room. I haven't handled her, so I haven't transfered anything from my hands.

Here's a pic of her enclosure too. I've now removed the leaves, in case they were causing an issue.
image0.jpeg

x_raphael_xx

The video suggests your startling your spider rather then it being poisoned. When a tarantula has been poisoned it makes random movements uncontrollably on its own.
That's how she moves in her enclosure on her own, sort of flicking her legs.
Its the random leg movements that worry me, they don't look normal. Even when startled, like my flightly catalina, the movement is smoother.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
She molted a month ago (09/09 to be exact), I thought pulchras had long time between molts?
Both my juvenile G. pulchra have had shorter and longer periods between molts roughly 30 -50+ days in the 4-6 months I have had them. For mine, I think the summer heat and perhaps my need to feed sped the molting up.

Also it seems that as older slings/juveniles they seem to grow faster. My 3/4-1 inch G. rosea seem to be growing slower than my older G. pulchra. But that could also be that while they share the same genus they are different species.

x_raphael_xx

Both my juvenile G. pulchra have had shorter and longer periods between molts roughly 30 -50+ days in the 4-6 months I have had them. For mine, I think the summer heat and perhaps my need to feed sped the molting up.

Also it seems that as older slings/juveniles they seem to grow faster. My 3/4-1 inch G. rosea seem to be growing slower than my older G. pulchra. But that could also be that while they share the same genus they are different species.
Oh I was expecting months inbetween molts, I've heard pulchras grow very slowly. 30-50 would be about right for another premolt then.

I've identified the tree & leaves as a Cotoneaster frigidus 'Cornubia'. I can't find any info on whether they are toxic to spiders or not, but I've removed them anyway from all the enclosures. I'll stick to fake plants.

She still seems to be moving oddly to me, but that may just be expectation bias! I attempted to feed her today & she wasn't interested and ran away (but again that may be the pre-molt) When I took the lid off the enclosure she seemed to be trying to feel for the lid/ceiling.

Latest posts