• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did my Albo just pose a Dead Curl?

Zarshenyu

Hello guys :) long time no see...

I want to ask you a question. This evening, I found a weird position of my T's legs. Four of his leg is not really curled, but only its toe bending inward. I immediately spray the ground with water. But he quickly covered his face with legs, include the legs which the tip was bend.

Later on, I tried to give him cricket. He tried to catch the crickets but that crickets always succeed to escape. Seems like his legs wasn't moving as fast as before.

Several days ago, he was so active and was climbing everywhere..

This is his position now. Mine is B. Albo, MM, and his ultimate molt as on March last year.

I also attached sketch of how was the bending looks like, so you can figure it out. His toes on first row and third row was bending.. Sorry if my sketch is hard to understand

Thank you.

Attachments

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Judging by the sketch, that is definitely death curl, and it sounds like he is nearing the end.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Males will do that...they try to just give up. Gotta keep a eye on them closely. Lots of water should always be around...two or three water dishes. Dehydration is what kills mature males extremely fast. I always catch them in a death curl and interrupt them with a drink or food. Food sometimes has to be prekilled or wounded so it flops around in the same spot. They get really bad at hunting the older they get. I've currently got a Tliltocatl albopilosum that's two years mature. Hes tried giving up a couple times.

Domondios

Wow. It's actually such a let-down that Males live such limited lives, and news to me that they try and give up on living. Most reptiles, regardless of breed, that can reach 15yrs regardless of gender.

Good luck and keep us informed on the situation.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Wow. It's actually such a let-down that Males live such limited lives, and news to me that they try and give up on living. Most reptiles, regardless of breed, that can reach 15yrs regardless of gender.

Good luck and keep us informed on the situation.
End of their life cycle...invertebrates are much different then reptiles and mammals.
After a good 4-6 months of being fertile for breeding, anything time you get out of a male is a bonus. Most are eaten after breeding to fulfill the life circle.
Pretty badass if you ask me.

Last edited:

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
What age can a male T live to if he isn't been used for breeding?
having been bred or not isn’t much of a factor. It depends more on the genus and species. Grammostola are known to live 2+ years after maturing. I saw one guy on FB claiming his rose hair is still alive having matured 5 years ago, but take that with a grain of salt. While some other species the MMs don’t live much past a year

Domondios

Really? Wow. I wasn't aware of such a short life cycle. They were designed this way so there's no questioning why it works this way. I certainly hope that my sling is a female, but regardless of this, I'll ensure its time spent with me will be the best part of their lives.

Zarshenyu

Hello everyone..
Thanks for the replies.

I'm kinda confuse with my T. After I think he posed a dead curl, now he's climbing everywhere. Even webbing.

Here are the pictures of him now. What should I do, then? Should I crush the crickets head first before give it to him? Lately he seems not really interested in food.. But the abdomen is not shriveled..

He also posed a crossing legs, like wishing his luck

Attachments

Domondios

Hello everyone..
Thanks for the replies.

I'm kinda confuse with my T. After I think he posed a dead curl, now he's climbing everywhere. Even webbing.

Here are the pictures of him now. What should I do, then? Should I crush the crickets head first before give it to him? Lately he seems not really interested in food.. But the abdomen is not shriveled..

He also posed a crossing legs, like wishing his luck
I'm glad to see and hear that he/you seemed to convince him to not give up. I have no experience with this scenario, but I would be relieved for the most part, because no one likes thinking there's something major wrong. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night. Thanks for the pics. He's certainly showing better signs

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Seems like you caught him beginning to dehydrate and intervened in time by getting fluid into him. As The Clown says above, as long as you're vigilant to the warning signs, you will probably see this scenario play out a couple times more before he finally succumbs to old age. With a lot of luck, you may have him for another year or so.
Now he's more perky, you can try live prey again, but if he's struggling to kill it, switch back to wounded or pre-killed as Arachnoclown describes above.
The main thing is the advice given about waterbowls.
He is a a beauty and I have a massive fondness for this species

Zarshenyu

I'm glad to see and hear that he/you seemed to convince him to not give up. I have no experience with this scenario, but I would be relieved for the most part, because no one likes thinking there's something major wrong. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night. Thanks for the pics. He's certainly showing better signs
I also cannot sleep peacefully that night. I was always check him up everytime to make sure he is okay..

Zarshenyu

Seems like you caught him beginning to dehydrate and intervened in time by getting fluid into him. As The Clown says above, as long as you're vigilant to the warning signs, you will probably see this scenario play out a couple times more before he finally succumbs to old age. With a lot of luck, you may have him for another year or so.
Now he's more perky, you can try live prey again, but if he's struggling to kill it, switch back to wounded or pre-killed as Arachnoclown describes above.
The main thing is the advice given about waterbowls.
He is a a beauty and I have a massive fondness for this species
I don't understand why he was dehydrate.. Or maybe because I moved him for two days in a higher temperature (like 30° Celcius. My room usually 22° Celcius) because my room was sprayed with mosquito repellent..

Zarshenyu

Several minutes ago, I tried to give him life food. He catch it immediately and then doing the happy dance :D I'm so glad he's showing better sign..Here is the link, video of him doing the happy dance:

Thanks for the information and input. I really appreciate it :beer::T:

Domondios

Several minutes ago, I tried to give him life food. He catch it immediately and then doing the happy dance :D I'm so glad he's showing better sign..Here is the link, video of him doing the happy dance:

Thanks for the information and input. I really appreciate it :beer::T:
That's so awesome!! I'm super glad he, and yourself, are happy and dancing... I've never seen this type of video before, so thanks for sharing it. Definitely going to download it for my T-Folder

Have a happy and worry-free day and weekend!! :T:

Zarshenyu

That's so awesome!! I'm super glad he, and yourself, are happy and dancing... I've never seen this type of video before, so thanks for sharing it. Definitely going to download it for my T-Folder

Have a happy and worry-free day and weekend!! :T:
Thank you for your kindness :D
Usually, my T will stop dancing if I start recording. But today he let me record himself, which is nice!

Have a nice day too! :beer::beer::beer:

Latest posts