• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dead or moulting

shaun

3 Year Member
Got a tiny little Pinkoe sling recently.
Still brown. It settled onto a piece of wood and seemed well, making some web and ate a very small black cricket.
Have found it on the floor of the cup.
How long before I decide it has died?
I am soo hoping that it is a moult but do they moult when so young?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes they moult more often when they're younger.
It could be about to moult, or that could be the old moult and your little one is hiding somewhere.
Can you get a photo so we can maybe help more?

shaun

3 Year Member
Yes they moult more often when they're younger.
It could be about to moult, or that could be the old moult and your little one is hiding somewhere.
Can you get a photo so we can maybe help more?
Here it is, it's been there for two days

Attachments

• IMG-20190829-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190829-WA0001.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 83

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sorry to say that does not look good. Is there any response if you very gently touch a leg?

shaun

3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure it 's a gonner!
I am not having much luck with this hobby, maybe I should take up underwater knitting or something!

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm pretty sure it 's a gonner!
I am not having much luck with this hobby, maybe I should take up underwater knitting or something!
Why do you think she did not make it? Humidity or ventilation?

shaun

3 Year Member
Was in a plastic beaker with loads of holes, it had started webbing and eaten a really small cricket. I got it from Phil and he has loads of good feedback. Bit of a mystery really!

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Was in a plastic beaker with loads of holes, it had started webbing and eaten a really small cricket. I got it from Phil and he has loads of good feedback. Bit of a mystery really!
...May be the cricket...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Phil only supplies top class Ts but sadly it's not unusual for little slings to die unexpectedly especially Avics/Caribena. I lost my first one but I was determined and bought another and she's still with me 4 years on even though I kept her in exactly the same conditions as the first.
I think what @menavodi meant was the cricket could have harmed the sling.

shaun

3 Year Member
Maybe I should kill the crickets. Phil gave me a curly hair, as a freebie and I have fed it a crushed cricket because it is so tiny.
I am disappointed to have lost another Pinkoe. I really like the species

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@shaun, sorry to hear about your loss. when exactly did you get the sling? As you know, I always offer LAG and ask that the recipient fives me a text/mail to make sure the spider arrives safe and well.

Unfortunately deaths are something we all experience at some point. I keep a detailed spreadsheet of all my spiders bought, bred, sold whatever and death rate based on all the spiders I have ever logged is circa 12%. There is usually no reason, sometimes its after a moult and they just don't eat or have the energy anymore, and sometimes there is no reason anyone can see. Slings are more delicate we must realise that in the wild, a sac if hundreds would only probably result in one or two surviving to adulthood. Predation is obviously a factor on the wild that is removed when captive bred but there will always be weaker spiders and stronger spiders

I don't have any more avic avic left bit if there is anything else I can help with please let me k ow.

Again, sorry to hear you did not have a long time to enjoy your new addition.

shaun

3 Year Member
Cheers Phil. I certainly don't have any concerns about buying from you in the future. These things happen. Am I right in assuming that Pinkoes are a delicate spider? I really like them, and want to keep trying to keep them.
Cheers

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cheers Phil. I certainly don't have any concerns about buying from you in the future. These things happen. Am I right in assuming that Pinkoes are a delicate spider? I really like them, and want to keep trying to keep them.
Cheers
I would normally say avic avic are pretty hardy. The ceribena versicolour can be a bit fragile but avics normally ok. with slings it is always a possibility even if kept in ideal conditions, which unlike what a care sheet may tell you, avics do best with dry sub, elevated water dish if you can, although if they are thirsty they will get to water on the ground, cross ventilation and something for them to call home like a piece of cork bark or a tube (best not to use branches from outside though as you never know what nasties lurk there) and that's about it.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hi Shaun, really sorry for your loss. As everyone has said Avics are known to die because of a combination of too much humidity and not enough cross ventilation, plus slings do in general tend to be more fragile and can 'peg out' for no apparent reason.

Your little one might have fallen exploring it's new enclosure and hurt itself landing on one of those stones on the enclosure floor. That's just my guess, and I may be way off base. However, you may be better off not using stuff like pebbles in sling enclosures. Just stick to substrate, cork bark and foliage for now. And of course, a waterdish! Lol :)

If (like me) you are new to keeping tarantulas, why dont you start off with something a lot hardier, such as anything from the Brachypelma or Grammastola genus? Some of the species from those genera are beautiful and have a reputation of being bombproof lol :):)

I have 3 smashing T's from Phil and will be getting no 4 soon too. I would love one of his Avics but I am going to wait until I feel confident I could keep it right. Phil is a great guy who would be happy to help you decide on your next T. I hope you get another one and enjoy keeping it because this is a great hobby.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What sucks is spending extra money to buy a female juvie, then having it die a month later for no discernable reason whatsoever. It happens. Especially with certain spp.

Avicularia Kael

Both pink toes I have had have died. One from too much humidity, and the other while molting. Both were subadults. (M6 and sp. kwitara)

Latest posts