• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curly hair

Mrbeauregard

So i went to check on my spider today and i found a bald spot on his abdomen and i was wondering if anyone would know what this is from any info would be great and much appreciated

Attachments

• 20201017_130851.jpg
    20201017_130851.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is called an urt patch. As the spider exoskeleton ages, urticating hairs are lost and not replaced. The more stressed the spider is, the worse it gets. It is harmless, and will resolve after your T molts. Hope this helps.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
on the more serious note .
The bold patch as mentioned above is nothing to worry about .It just kicked some hairs for any reason.
On the substrate subject
This species likes to burrow and dig about and really will appreciate deep slightly moist substrate.Coco fiber , plain top soil without any additives are good options or mixture of both.
Tarantulas don’t like loose fluffy ground under their feet.
Regards Konstantin

Mrbeauregard

Hi
on the more serious note .
The bold patch as mentioned above is nothing to worry about .It just kicked some hairs for any reason.
On the substrate subject
This species likes to burrow and dig about and really will appreciate deep slightly moist substrate.Coco fiber , plain top soil without any additives are good options or mixture of both.
Tarantulas don’t like loose fluffy ground under their feet.
Regards Konstantin
Thank u for this info i did juat that and went out and got him new bedding coco fiber 24 qt bag of it. Much appreciated for all the info

Attachments

• 20201017_213302_HDR.jpg
    20201017_213302_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Im glad to see you change the substrate.It does look loose.Did you firm it down with your hand when you put it in?.
There are few other things I will mention for you to consider .
Tarantulas don’t really need lots of space.They are ambush predators that wait for their pray to come by They dont actively hunt.Large enclosure will reduce chances of pray and predator encounters making feeding slightly difficult.They for the most part live in burrows they feel secure in tight spaces(smaller enclosures). They may hide more in larger setup once they settle in. Also In enclosure that size I will put 2 waterdish or move it near the hide once it settle in.
The rule if thumb is floor space shkuld be sth like 3 times your tarantula DLS(Diagonal leg span) so for 5 inch spider something with footprint of 15x 15 or 12x18 will be more suitable.Its not set in stone but is sth to give you idea.
Now the important bit when setup terrestrial enclosure is the height between substrate and top of the tank.Too much space between them is a fall hazard and in case of fall your tarantula may injure itself or even die.In order to avoid that the distance between substrate and top should be no more than 1.5 your spider DLS.Again 5 inch spider 7.5 inch of space .In tall enclosure that means you should fill it with more dirt to about 1/2 to 3/4 of the height.
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts