• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cross-ventilation

Meludox

3 Year Member
It has just come to my attention that Jamie's arboreal spiderling enclosures only have one vent, and therefore do not offer cross ventilation. Will this be enough for an A. versicolor sling or do I need to drill some holes in it?
00003-2-600x345.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would add some on top and the other sides, around the bottom. There's really no such thing as too much ventilation for any spider. I've heard people with good sense say they're fine, but I wouldn't trust just one large vent for an Avic.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I kept my versi in one of those years ago, and it worked fine (however, that was before I was aware of proper cross-ventilation). You can just burn a couple extra holes in it with a heated nail to be safe, however. :)

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Quick tip, please don't take this wrong as I love Jamie's and will continue to use her. When that enclosure comes check that vent very carefully! The tabs tend to be razor sharp! Put a bead of hot glue over the edges, better safe then sorry especially with an arboreal, :p

Meludox

3 Year Member
Quick tip, please don't take this wrong as I love Jamie's and will continue to use her. When that enclosure comes check that vent very carefully! The tabs tend to be razor sharp! Put a bead of hot glue over the edges, better safe then sorry especially with an arboreal, :p
Ooh, thank you. I'll double check that.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I have the same set up from her for my Avic and I added mad amounts of cross ventilation with a hot nail and my Avic is very happy- I don't like the way they open and close so unless I get one in a bundle I no longer use mine and just purchase my own stuff and make them.

Meludox

3 Year Member
I have the same set up from her for my Avic and I added mad amounts of cross ventilation with a hot nail and my Avic is very happy- I don't like the way they open and close so unless I get one in a bundle I no longer use mine and just purchase my own stuff and make them.

Yeah, I'm really partial towards the way that the arboreal ones open, because it makes setting up the vertical cork bark a little difficult; Jamie hot glues it onto the side of the lid. Maybe one day I'll start building my own tanks.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Yeah, I'm really partial towards the way that the arboreal ones open, because it makes setting up the vertical cork bark a little difficult; Jamie hot glues it onto the side of the lid. Maybe one day I'll start building my own tanks.

I did that too and it's still a pain in the arse :) I think from now on I will stick to making my own.