• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket Corpses?

tiberius

I searched but couldn't find anything concrete. As I said, I'm new to this and have a 5 month old Red Knee.

My question is, I always was under the impression that T's just consume the liquids. But after various feedings, I cannot find any cricket corpses.

Do T's also "eat" the crickets? Or is she burying the dry corpses in the cocofiber? I cant find any cricket remains, and Im concerned about leaving the remains in there and bacteria forming.

Thanks!

Mr. P

3 Year Member
You won't find a dried up corpse, what you will find is a bolus. When a T is finished eating it will look like a rolled up ball of what is left of the corpse.

Attachments

• Bolus.jpg
    Bolus.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 122

Tnoob

I have heard that T's will attempt to dispose of the bolas in an area of the enclosure that the T doesn't frequent. I guess they like to keep clean, and will create a "dumpster" of sorts. If your T is trying to be clean then I suppose it's possible that your T burried the bolas in order to keep the enclosure clean. I guess check the area where your T drops it's molt. Perhaps your T has an area it likes to get rid of stuff. I'm not very experienced.

spodermin

In a dry, arid enclosure, boluses will are fine. Remove them as you find them, but no need to hunt them.

I made a thread a while ago about boluses inside fossorial tarantulas hides being inaccessible, but if the T has a problem with it they will bring them out (and often use the water dish as a toilet for them)

In a constantly humid enclosure, I HIGHLY advise putting springtails and/or isopods in, that way the boluses will be taken care of automatically and mold will never accumulate.

Latest posts