• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

close call

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I walk into Rick's just to get some feeders.

They have a confirmed female P metallica, about 3" for $300...

Fortunately enough, I escaped with only 2 containers of superworms!!

The last time I went there, I ended up with a totally wonderful B hamorii that I paid to much for, but he's worth every penny.

That was a narrow escape indeed.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I have this problem at reptile expos. I go just to save money on feeders and end up loosing money because i can't help but get a new snake or T. Luckily the pet stores around here don't have much to desire so I'll make it out of there with out buying a new animal but a new exotics store just opened literally five minutes from my house, and it's taking everything i got not to go buy anything other then feeders :D my brothers birthday is this week though so could be a good excuse to go get something else.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have this problem at reptile expos. I go just to save money on feeders and end up loosing money because i can't help but get a new snake or T. Luckily the pet stores around here don't have much to desire so I'll make it out of there with out buying a new animal but a new exotics store just opened literally five minutes from my house, and it's taking everything i got not to go buy anything other then feeders :D my brothers birthday is this week though so could be a good excuse to go get something else.
I was at a reptile fair yesterday... my problem exactly. But since the price was just not right for me I only left with crickets o_O

Dmantook

So I walk into Rick's just to get some feeders.

They have a confirmed female P metallica, about 3" for $300...

Fortunately enough, I escaped with only 2 containers of superworms!!

The last time I went there, I ended up with a totally wonderful B hamorii that I paid to much for, but he's worth every penny.

That was a narrow escape indeed.

Is that Rick's Fish & Pet in Frederick? Thanks.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes indeed it is. Despite it being Rick's, she's actually in good condition. She's in a terrestrial cage with a cork bark laid on the side.

You'll have to rehouse a pokie that you haven't worked with before.

In my opinion, you'll definitely have to get a proper arboreal enclosure. She's big enough to do fine in a nano tall with a cork round in the middle. A bugarium would also work since you just go in from the top.

As with any pokie, never open the cage with a side door. Only use the top lid or they'll run for sure.

There's so much blue, it has to be a female. Bear in mind that the blue is more of a subadult color. They change to sort of blackish blue and gold. (Navy blue and gold?)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As with any pokie, never open the cage with a side door. Only use the top lid or they'll run for sure.

I open the side door every day....not one escape ever. I'm talking years/decades of opening a Exoterra nano's too. If you have a proper hide they run to it instantly. The exception is a 10" rufilata or ornata...they know they are badasses and dont need to run anywhere.;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Only my male P striata has a cork bark. The rest just have flats & they teleport across all 4 walls in a spiral.

I'm sure that with a cork bark you can get away with it, but I've had no escapes...yet.

I also ended up getting a second strongly suspect female P striata at Repticon & posted that. She's in his old cage, cleaned out of course.

Latest posts