• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Clay Balls?

NorseDad

Raph is right. Also, even if you are doing bioactive, the TerrAranea from BioDude works great for bioactive without needing the drainage layer. It's a bit pricer than coco fiber, but no need for mesh or clay balls.

I have two juvenile T. apophysis. One is in a bioactive with TerraAranea and one is a peat moss/potting soil combo with a drainage layer and clay. Both have springtails. I haven't had any issues with mold in either one and neither seems to lose moisture/humidity faster.

TokeHound

Oh okay, thank you. I suck at keeping plants alive, I tend to over water, so I had no interest in doing bioactive enclosures. I was going to do fake plants and stuff to pretty it up. Hopefully none of my T's will be interested in chewing on the fake plants...

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Oh okay, thank you. I suck at keeping plants alive, I tend to over water, so I had no interest in doing bioactive enclosures. I was going to do fake plants and stuff to pretty it up. Hopefully none of my T's will be interested in chewing on the fake plants...
I actually have at least 3 species that chew on silk plants.....

QuinnStarr

T. apophysis
L. parahybana
L. striatus

I actually had to take one from my LP as it had a fang clear through and was running around with it. I pulled it off and it tried to pick it up again, lol
Not quite the same but my B. hamorii walked under one of the fake plants I have in her enclosure and bumped a leaf with her leg, so it moved.
And she sat there in a threat posture at this stupid plastic leaf for almost 30 minutes.
I was howling from the ridiculousness of the situation.

edit: she’s roughly 2in DLS so it was even funnier because the leaf is about the same size she is

TokeHound

Not quite the same but my B. hamorii walked under one of the fake plants I have in her enclosure and bumped a leaf with her leg, so it moved.
And she sat there in a threat posture at this stupid plastic leaf for almost 30 minutes.
I was howling from the ridiculousness of the situation.

edit: she’s roughly 2in DLS so it was even funnier because the leaf is about the same size she is
That would be so cute and hilarious to watch

TokeHound

You know how, in cartoons, small things have this ridiculously squeaky voice?
All I could think of was this 2 inch spider in a threat posture with that high pitched voice yelling obscenities at a plastic plant.
My B. hamorii also gave me a threat posture when I dropped a mealworm too close to it. It was cute

HeavyFuel

Hi all, what kind of clay balls or specific brand do you buy? Does it really matter which ones you used? I went to an event yesterday and won 5 tarantulas (not bad considering I only went for one specific T lol)
One of them is the psalmopoeus irminia and would like to attempt my first bio active set up.
I live in the UK, so anything I can get here would be most helpful but any recommendations would be appreciated. Cheers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice, congrats @HeavyFuel

If you can get BioDude substrate you won't need a drainage layer, which is what the balls are for...

What other Ts did you get?

HeavyFuel

kochiana brunnipes, phormictopus auratus,
hapalopus formosus,
Nhandu chromatus and a
pterinochilus sazimai.

I have a look for some of that online but don't seem to get anything up apart from US only.

HeavyFuel

20211025_102235.jpg

Cheers, I will have a look in a bit. I am supposed to be working. Lol
The funny thing is I didn't even get the T I was planning on.
But this is my little collection.

Attachments

• 20211025_102035.jpg
    20211025_102035.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts