• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chilean rose size

Tfghvghxhjj

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, new to keeping tarantulas. Just bought a 1cm sling off ebay and wondering how long it takes for then to reach the adult stage? Thanks in advance.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Hi there and welcome this depends on so much Shaun. Genus, feeding, housing etc.. If I am not mistaken they take a very long time and the growth rate has been compared to that of an oak tree- very very slow. I mean mine took 3 years to reach 2" . You've invested in a long time friend. Good luck and post a pic or two when you can :)

Last edited:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a G. rosea sling that I got as a freebie at about .3". I've had the little guy/gal close to two years, and it's kept between 70-75 degrees in the winter and 75-80 in the summer. In that time, he has fasted twice for several months and is now a whopping .6" or so. :) This is a VERY slow growing species overall, so you can expect it to take many, many years before you have an adult.

The good news is, you will have it for a looong time. I've had my female G. porteri for close to 20 years, and she was already 4" when I got her!

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I have a G. rosea sling that I got as a freebie at about .3". I've had the little guy/gal close to two years, and it's kept between 70-75 degrees in the winter and 75-80 in the summer. In that time, he has fasted twice for several months and is now a whopping .6" or so. :) This is a VERY slow growing species overall, so you can expect it to take many, many years before you have an adult.

The good news is, you will have it for a looong time. I've had my female G. porteri for close to 20 years, and she was already 4" when I got her!

used to freak me out when my boy would fast that long.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gender, temperatures, feeding amount and routine, are all things that effect growth. Obviously the more you feed them, the faster they grow. Unfortunately with a genus like Grammastola which are all slow-growers, even feeding them more often won't make them grow too much faster.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I've never raised one too adulthood. When I got a 0.5" sling, it hit just over 1.5" in over 2 years. This was with regular feeding(it never fasted), and in over 80F tropical climate.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I found my B. Boehmei (another slow growing genus) got out of his "fragile" sling stage in less than a year (0.5" -1.5+" ), but he seems to be slowing down a bit now (although I think he will molt soon, as he's getting fat).
I don't have an issue with slow growers: At least you know you'll be able to enjoy them for many years and the grown on sling/juvie phase is just adorable, IMHO.

Tfghvghxhjj

3 Year Member
Thanks so much for all the info guys! I was genuinely hoping the growth rate would be slow as opposed to fast, as i don't want to rehouse them too often. Also, i'm very excited to see them grow up, which is the reason i decided to add a sling to my small collection. They arrived today, and the guy sent me two even though i just ordered one! This made my day, and i can't wait to watch them both. Hopefully there'll be one male and one female , time will tell! Another quick question - what's the best thing to feed them? The local reptile shop seels tiny crickets and tiny locusts, but meal worms are also available. Will i have to pre-kill the live food or will they eat it live?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most people use bottle caps from a very small T size. The spider can't drown in clear water, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just don't let the mealworms burrow out of sight. Those jaws can be dangerous to a freshly molted tarantula. This applies even more to superworms. Best thing to do is to crush the head before tossing them in.

Latest posts