• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Celeste the T. Albopilosus

sch1z0k1tty

I got Celeste, my curly hair female a couple of weeks ago.. she has been staying in a 66 qt bin from target. She has two fake plants in there, some moss, a water dish, a hide, and more than 30 qt mix of jungle mix and eco earth sub that she has only dug enough to lay in right behind her hide. She was very shy and had kicked her butt bald while she was at the store. I have tried feeding her twice since i got her. First time she was so scared she froze, and the second she ran away from a really tiny cricket lol I have and will not bother her unless filling her water dish or attempting to feed her. She seems to love showing off her fangs.

Attachments

• 40C73F9A-F9C6-4F6D-9848-B58E6C127ADA.jpeg
    40C73F9A-F9C6-4F6D-9848-B58E6C127ADA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 7EC73AD4-3E64-4E5D-9453-62B85DE3384F.jpeg
    7EC73AD4-3E64-4E5D-9453-62B85DE3384F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 6D15E098-FD52-40F5-B240-D26B155FC5B5.jpeg
    6D15E098-FD52-40F5-B240-D26B155FC5B5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 2FF767F1-939A-4CF4-AF58-F6F1FC382E8E.jpeg
    2FF767F1-939A-4CF4-AF58-F6F1FC382E8E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
It takes time for a tarantula to settle in her new home.The bigger the tarantula the longer it takes.
It is normal to be skittish, shy .....or/and to refuse food.
Tarantula not eating is rarely an issue.Just make sure it has full waterdish available at all times.
Having said that T albos are usually a good eaters.When feeding try not to trow the pray on top of her as that could startle her further.Offer feders by simply putting them in the enclosure .No need to spoon feed her.They are efficient predators.Also don't expect for her to hit feeders straight away some tarantulas are shy eaters and will eat at night or when there is no vibration from anyone in the room near the enclosure. Leave the pray in for 24 hours and take them out if not eaten after do not leave live feeders in the enclosures for longer.
I am not familiar with the measurements you are using in regards of the enclosure.
Large is not always better as far as tarantula enclosure is concerned.They often are unsettled in overly large setups also is more difficult for them to cross paths with the feeders as they are ambush predators and rather wait for their pray to come by that actively hunt.The general rule of thumb is that the enclosure size should be 3 times your spider DLS(Diagonal leg span) in length, 2 times DLS in width and space between substrate and the top of around 1.5 DLS. For example for 5 inch DSL tarantula you are looking at enclosure with dimensions 15x10 inch floor space and you should be able to fill it in with substrate so there is only 7.5 inch between substrate and the top. Your T albopilosus is an obligate burrower and will appreciate substrate with some depth 6 -7 inch will do it.While they can be kept dry your tarantula will benefit from some moisture in part of the substrate let's say pour water in one corner so it goes all way down to the bottom(pour it slowly aiming for the gap between the enclosure and the substrate so it soaks bottom layers.There you want the moisture.Do not obsesse about keeping the top layer wet).You can moist different corner on rotation once the original corner is almost dry .
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That enclosure is massive and allows too much free height for climbing presenting a risk to the tarantula if it falls from the highest point

Latest posts