• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can substrate go 'off'?

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Hi all, I decided I wanna rehouse my one T. I have 500gram bags of substrate that I bought a year ago from a tarantula store. They were vacuum sealed.

When i opened one, it was ok, but the other one was clammy and the vacuum sealed bag looks like it had condensation all over it. And the substraight smelled different.

Im worried this will harm the T.

Is this possible?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's fine. Pour it out and let it air out a while. Tarantulas live in musky damp mold covered burrows in the wild. They’re alot tougher then the delicate princesses alot of people treat them as. ;)
8C443298-4DF2-4F16-94E2-37F910277815.png

I tried!!!!

MBullock

3 Year Member
It's more of a hazard for you than your spiders. Def wear gloves if you have cuts or scrapes because that coco is processed on beaches in the third-world and the most cleaning those giant piles of coco recieve is a simple hose-down. Def dont go sniffing it either lol