• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can anyone help ??

vikki Tan

I found my chillian rose in what looked like a death curl yesterday morning, as the day progressed we tried to put her in ICU and hydrate her as much as possible from her front and tried her on her back aswell.
We have watched lots of videos and at some points yesterday we really did think she had died.
Last night early evening she started to show signs of moving again and we read that she may be trying to shed but can’t as she seemed to be twitching a lot more.
I have put her on her back again and she seem to be twitching a lot more and her legs are open not curled as they were before.

she is around 8 years old and has not eaten for at least 12 months some people have said they think she may be a male but we don’t know what to do

Attachments

• IMG_2530.MOV
    72.4 MB

Tarantulafeets

Welcome to the forum!
ICUs tend to do more harm than good, as putting a sick tarantula in a wet, humid environment away from its home with minimum ventilation and air flow doesn't help it much. I would also stop flipping her over, you can put her chelicerae into the water dish for her to drink, but not the book lungs, as that is where they breathe. I don't think that there is much else you can do, but wait. Also, the height from the substrate to the top looks pretty tall, so it could be acting that way because it could have been climbing and then fell, hurting something internal, especially for heavy bodied new world terrestrials. I'm hoping for the best!

vikki Tan

Welcome to the forum!
ICUs tend to do more harm than good, as putting a sick tarantula in a wet, humid environment away from its home with minimum ventilation and air flow doesn't help it much. I would also stop flipping her over, you can put her chelicerae into the water dish for her to drink, but not the book lungs, as that is where they breathe. I don't think that there is much else you can do, but wait. Also, the height from the substrate to the top looks pretty tall, so it could be acting that way because it could have been climbing and then fell, hurting something internal, especially for heavy bodied new world terrestrials. I'm hoping for the best!
Thank you for your response, do you think I should put her back on her front ? She never climbs the walls she hasn’t been active like that for years, I fear it’s old age

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The substrate looks a bit damp in the video. Grammastola species like a dry environment with a water dish. The level of humidity needed is very slim to none with Grammastola species. Also, what is the height from the substrate floor to the top of the terrarium? Your tarantula could've started climbing and perhaps fell? I would definitely change the substrate and if there is a lot of space for climbing I would only leave about 6" of height space for the tarantula so that if it does start to climb and falls, the risk for it getting hurt is very minimal.

Tarantulafeets

Thank you for your response, do you think I should put her back on her front ? She never climbs the walls she hasn’t been active like that for years, I fear it’s old age
You can try to put the mouth area into the water dish to drink, but I don't think that is old age, as I've heard some females of Grammostola rosea/porteri can live for 20 - 30 years with correct husbandry.

vikki Tan

You can try to put the mouth area into the water dish to drink, but I don't think that is old age, as I've heard some females of Grammostola rosea/porteri can live for 20 - 30 years with correct husbandry.
I have been told she may be a male as she is so small and has hardly shed in 6 years. She is still with us and we have taken her out of the damp soil and put her in new substrate on her front next to the water fingers crossed

vikki Tan

The substrate looks a bit damp in the video. Grammastola species like a dry environment with a water dish. The level of humidity needed is very slim to none with Grammastola species. Also, what is the height from the substrate floor to the top of the terrarium? Your tarantula could've started climbing and perhaps fell? I would definitely change the substrate and if there is a lot of space for climbing I would only leave about 6" of height space for the tarantula so that if it does start to climb and falls, the risk for it getting hurt is very minimal.
She has never climbed before so unless she has done it in the night? we have always kept her in a really dry environment until we were told she may be dehydrated we have put her back in her normal dry environment near water now on her front to see what happens over night

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She has never climbed before so unless she has done it in the night? we have always kept her in a really dry environment until we were told she may be dehydrated we have put her back in her normal dry environment near water now on her front to see what happens over night

They do tend to be more active at night. It is a possibility.

vikki Tan

Hey…. Thanks for your message We have changed all her special soil and put the water bowl near by reduced the height from the top of the tank, have tried to get her to drink a little bit, she moves when I talk to her and keeps bouncing an moving a little bit but no improvement, she’s still here I just don’t understand what’s wrong

Latest posts