• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

CA newbie and AZ Blonde

beebhabie

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, new to the forum and hobby as well. After a few months of research (All you Tarantula YouTubers are my heroes) I finally pulled the plug and picked up my first T about 5 days ago - a beautiful Aphonopelma Chalcodes. I was told she is female and she’s a pretty big girl. If anyone can guestimate age based on her size that would be awesome. I read they grow extremely slow so I can only imagine how old she must be and I of course forgot to ask...
Her name is Sprinkles lol. Everyone in my household is terrified so I thought giving her a cute name would make everyone less scared
The first day she was exploring her enclosure, by night time I noticed she had already remodeled and created a giant dirt wall on one corner and a much deeper and more elaborate burrow than I had dug out for her. I understand this is normal behavior for them but she also has webbed up the entrance? I can still see through it so it’s not very thick, but I am curious if they normally do that for their burrows?

Attachments

• E656FC67-F9B3-4258-83BE-D56CAF01C0D0.jpeg
    E656FC67-F9B3-4258-83BE-D56CAF01C0D0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

glitchsixxle

Hi everyone, new to the forum and hobby as well. After a few months of research (All you Tarantula YouTubers are my heroes) I finally pulled the plug and picked up my first T about 5 days ago - a beautiful Aphonopelma Chalcodes. I was told she is female and she’s a pretty big girl. If anyone can guestimate age based on her size that would be awesome. I read they grow extremely slow so I can only imagine how old she must be and I of course forgot to ask...
Her name is Sprinkles lol. Everyone in my household is terrified so I thought giving her a cute name would make everyone less scared
The first day she was exploring her enclosure, by night time I noticed she had already remodeled and created a giant dirt wall on one corner and a much deeper and more elaborate burrow than I had dug out for her. I understand this is normal behavior for them but she also has webbed up the entrance? I can still see through it so it’s not very thick, but I am curious if they normally do that for their burrows?
Hi! Nothing to worry about. She could either be in premolt (which means she'll just be camping out in there for a very very long time) or just sheltering for winter (hibernation almost).

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First off welcome to the forum and the hobby.

it is impossible to determine age based on size, as some specimens from the same sac can and will molt at different rates. As for what your A. chalcodes is doing, it’s just doing normal tarantula things.

beebhabie

3 Year Member
Hi! Nothing to worry about. She could either be in premolt (which means she'll just be camping out in there for a very very long time) or just sheltering for winter (hibernation almost).
Thanks! That would be awesome if she is in premolt. I certainly wouldn’t mind waiting around to see her once she finally emerges

beebhabie

3 Year Member
First off welcome to the forum and the hobby.

it is impossible to determine age based on size, as some specimens from the same sac can and will molt at different rates. As for what your A. chalcodes is doing, it’s just doing normal tarantula things.
Thank you! I had no idea about that, how interesting. I just immediately assumed she must already be a few years old. Very cool, mysterious little things!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WC A. chalcodes grow fast to about 2 inch DLS. Survival tactic--get out of dangerous phase quickly. Then, they molt approximately once a pandemic. They are not voracious eaters since, for a T, their metabolism is slow. Bad news, they hibernate sometimes for months and refuse food. Good news, a healthy female can live for up to 30 years.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum & the hobby. I also have an Aphonopelma chalcodes, they are lovely T's. I also have an Aphonopelma johnnycashi, so called because they were found close to Fulsom Prison & I also believe, because the males are black.

beebhabie

3 Year Member

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome!

Nice looking first T :T:

My chalcodes is about the size of a nickel after a year or so (started at about 1/4") and mostly stayed burrowed.

What are your stats plans for an enclosure?