• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C Versicolour ventilation.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At yesterdays Eastern Invert show I picked up a Versicolour to replace a tiny sling I lost & a glass enclosure. I am thinking now I need more ventilation in there.

What do others think? It is just this one ventilation point.

AndrewClayton

Ideally you want cross ventilation for avic and ex avic like Caribena it will be fine in it short term but I’d advise trying to modify that enclosure or get a new one that will enable cross ventilation

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just remember to not add any extra humidity & use a large elevated waterdish alive the substrate because they really hate going to the grounds and might dehydrate.

I use an ExoTerra nano tall for my versicolor.

C versicolor Charles on decor 1.jpg

C Versicolor Charles looking handsome 3.jpg

Enjoy the pics.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Nice addition! Really cute C. versi. How was the show? Wish I could have gone to it!

Aside from the need for cross ventilation, they feel more secure when the cork bark hide has leaf cover on top. You can glue plastic leaves to the top of the cork bark. If you got the glue gun from Poundland (£2) and some fake leaves you could probably do it for just under £5. I'd be tempted to get a slightly taller bit of cork bark too.
If you are able to add airholes to the enclosure cover, that should achieve cross ventilation, as the combination of side and top vent holes, should make the air move through the enclosure. Or like Andrew also said, use it short term until you get another. A tall plastic one would be fine and you could melt airholes on the sides and top. But you may prefer a really clear, display one, which will be more expensive. There are quite a few different types online.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice addition! Really cute C. versi. How was the show? Wish I could have gone to it!

Aside from the need for cross ventilation, they feel more secure when the cork bark hide has leaf cover on top. You can glue plastic leaves to the top of the cork bark. If you got the glue gun from Poundland (£2) and some fake leaves you could probably do it for just under £5. I'd be tempted to get a slightly taller bit of cork bark too.

I do have a couple of glue guns laying around & I have some more artificial leaf plants on order. My Avic Avic is currently webbing up behind some hanging leaves.

The top is glass with no gap for ventilation.

And the show was great. We stayed in Bletchley on Saturday night & arrived at Bedford very early, as the A421 out of MK was closed so we had to take a different route out. But even 75 minutes early, we were not the first in the queue!! I have no idea how many people attended but it was difficult to get to some of the stalls. For example The Spider Shops.

We were at the show from opening time of 11am & left just before 3pm. It was a great day. We had some really good buys, including two P Cambridgei for £2 each & a P Cancerides for £4. I also got myself a young T Blondi & juvenile A Chalcodes & B Baumgarteni. So my want list is now almost complete.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just to add, the enclosure was quickly put together last night after I got back from Bedford. And I will be improving it..Or now probably changing it, when I get the bits I need.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
The show sounded great, sad I missed it. You had some amazing deals too. At one of the last shows a YouTuber got lucky and had a subadult H chilensis for £40 (1cm slings were selling at £20) which turned out to be female!!! Definitely worth going to these shows. It's a brilliant day out too.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine has plenty of leaves and plants, but usually avoids the decor and hangs out on the glass by the waterdish. He will go on the decor and around mostly the top half of the cage once there's crickets to be found.