• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C. Versicolor sling feeding

Tarantulex

Hi everyone about a month ago I got a c versicolor sling. It is probably 1/4-1/2 an inch. My issue is it won't eat anything besides flightless fruit flies which I've come to learn have very poor nutritional value. I've tried dubia legs, dubia nymphs, pieces of mealworm, a small live mealworm with its head crushed. I don't have access to crickets/pinheads due to covid shortage near me. I try to offer it food about every week- sometimes twice a week when I first received it but it has only eaten fruit flies in my care twice- it ate about two at a time. Whenever I offer it food besides fruit flies it literally walks over the food and ignores it so I will remove it the following day- but with the fruit flies my T will eat immediately when it touches it with his little feet.
I want to provide the best care for this little guy- his butt seems so small! I'll try to upload a photo later. This is my first arboreal T- let alone arboreal sling. Should I continue to feed it the only thing it will eat? Should I maybe wait longer between feedings? Any other tips?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If your ok getting fruit flies and it’s eating them then I would continue with that. We have an Avic Avic sling which is similar. It’s around 1/4” and it does not eat at all. Sometimes it’ll react and pounce on food but still not eat it.

Tarantulex

If your ok getting fruit flies and it’s eating them then I would continue with that. We have an Avic Avic sling which is similar. It’s around 1/4” and it does not eat at all. Sometimes it’ll react and pounce on food but still not eat it.

Thanks so much for your feedback! After I had done some research I was under the impression flightless fruitflies were bad to feed but if that's all it'll eat for now I will take it!

Reaver925

I just received a 1/2” C. Versicolor today and I am freaking out a little. All of my other slings were 3/4”- 1”. I hope I can get it to eat some flightless fruit flies here in a couple of days. Anyone know how many days it will go without eating in case I have trouble?

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I just received a 1/2” C. Versicolor today and I am freaking out a little. All of my other slings were 3/4”- 1”. I hope I can get it to eat some flightless fruit flies here in a couple of days. Anyone know how many days it will go without eating in case I have trouble?
Hi
provide waterdish and keep it full at all times.
It can go without food for weeks but needs water at all times.
Regards Konstantin

Gizalba

3 Year Member
My 1/4 inch C. versicolor I have had for 6 weeks now and I too have never seen evidence that she has eaten anything. She does ignore any food I put in (micro crickets, bean weavil, meal worm pieces), although seems quite active. Maybe it's a versicolor thing! She does always have water available though, both in a water dish and water droplets I put in every few days.

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
Fruit flies aren't necessarily bad, they just don't have a lot of nutritional value. They are mainly used for very small slings till they get big enough to take cricket parts or mealworm parts.
Once at that stage switch them over to the insect parts and they should feed and grow readily.

Tarantulex

Since I posted this question I finally got my little versicolor to eat small mealworms! At the time it was only eating flightless fruitflies. It refused food for about two weeks and that's when I introduced the mealworm again- it ate immediately! Since then I've noticed it isn't hungry very often and is still the same tiny size, so I will pre-kill a mealworm and offer it weekly. My Avicularia's are my main T's who go on the longest hungry strikes! Even my G. rosea eats more often than them.

Tarantulex

Since I posted this question I finally got my little versicolor to eat small mealworms! At the time it was only eating flightless fruitflies. It refused food for about two weeks and that's when I introduced the mealworm again- it ate immediately! Since then I've noticed it isn't hungry very often and is still the same tiny size, so I will pre-kill a mealworm and offer it weekly. My Avicularia's are my main T's who go on the longest hungry strikes! Even my G. rosea eats more often than them.
Meant to say hunger strike

Reaver925

My C. Versicolor is finally eating. The picture is not the best but she’s feeding on a pre killed pinhead cricket. I know it is only the second day and I probably stressed out over nothing but I have never had one this small. There is definitely a big difference between 1/2” and 3/4” slings. Now if it just keeps feeding and I can keep it alive.

Attachments

• 03530E87-0CDA-4825-82C2-42E3A31900DA.jpeg
    03530E87-0CDA-4825-82C2-42E3A31900DA.jpeg
    987.5 KB · Views: 59

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
one thing that always helps a prey response is to have slings in small enclosures. Literally them and a piece of cork/stick to anchor to. For my versi slings to say 3cm DLS, a sling pot with small holes for cross ventilation and coffee stirer cut down is simple but very effective. Drop micro or small crickets directly in front and bang! Game over Mr. Cricket. I have not had any issues with this method, in fact, probably one of the best prey responses I get tbh.

KIV: Mealworms sustain them a lot longer than a cricket will so will feed less often on mealworms.

....and lways remember to remove live food uneaten after 24hrs. :)

Latest posts