• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Burrowed sling

RonC

3 Year Member
My G. pulchripes burrowed about 3 weeks ago and sealed off the entrance to it's hide after eating a couple of meals. It's burrow is at least a third the size of the enclosure. Abdomen was plump and I can't get a good look into the burrow to see if it is molting. I know they like dry substrate but overflow the dish a little to keep some moisture in at least some of the substrate. It's far from being wet. My thinking is a few drops of condensation can form on the side of the enclosure inside the burrow for T. Should I try feeding it since there it won't come out and no prey could find it's way in? Maybe pre-kill a meal worm or cricket and leave it to see if it's coming out at night? Yes I'm a worried newbie.
Good news is the new G. pulchra came out of it's burrow and likes to hide under a bit of moss next to the hide. It ate a small cricket today so I'm happy about that.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I'd leave a pre-killed cricket in there and take a picture of it. Then check back in the morning to see if it is moved or eaten. Three weeks should be enough time for pre-molt, molt, and recovery for a sling.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have an S. raja that came to me 2 years ago next month and I've seen it 3 times, each time during rehousing. There is no sign of a burrow either on the surface or at the sides of the container. The only clues I have that it is alive are food disappearing overnight and occasional humps appearing on the surface of the substrate which I presume is the result of the T moulting and enlarging its home. I have given up worrying about it.

RonC

3 Year Member
I left a pre-killed meal worm and it was still there 24 hrs later. Try again in a few days. I can see well enough to know it's moving around in the burrow. I knew this was a possibility. And I found the cricket I thought the new G pulchra ate and removed it. It happily took a pre-killed meal worm though. Maybe I'll try a p-k cricket and see.this weekend.

Greg

3 Year Member
I got my G.pulchripes sling in March. It has spent 2/3 of its time underground. This is the normal behavior of a small vulnerable terrestrial T to protect itself. Crickets I place on the surface are usually gone by the next day; it will come out at night to catch them. Burrowing also seems related to ambient temperature; it was more active during the summer, and it along with my A.geniculata have bunkered in for the winter.

Latest posts