• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BugzUK, new invertabrate zoo.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am just back from BugzUK new venture. The buildings are up, with plans for a few more in later years & some buildings are being set up inside, although the electricians etc are still on site. It is all very impressive looking.

There are LOTS of Exo Terra enclosures around & some of them inhabited already.

As I understand it, current plans are to open for next years tourist season.

x_raphael_xx

I am just back from BugzUK new venture. The buildings are up, with plans for a few more in later years & some buildings are being set up inside, although the electricians etc are still on site. It is all very impressive looking.

There are LOTS of Exo Terra enclosures around & some of them inhabited already.

As I understand it, current plans are to open for next years tourist season.
I've been following the build on instagram. I'd love to be nearby one day to visit. I'm right down in the Southwest so everything of interest is miles away.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've been following the build on instagram. I'd love to be nearby one day to visit. I'm right down in the Southwest so everything of interest is miles away.
I live little more than a 15 minute walk from Martin & now Norwich has a Northern bypass, the site of the new Zoo is just a 20 minute drive away.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Update..
https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/chrysalis-cafe-opens-at-insect-park-lenwade-8808456

The full story is via the link above., But the bugz part of the article is mainly below.
A butterfly-themed café has opened in the Norfolk countryside ahead of a five-acre insect zoo launching at the site later this year.

Martin French, 61, from Old Catton, has opened The Chrysalis Café in Nowhere Lane, in Lenwade, which is decorated with pictures of butterflies and moths.

Mr French runs company BugzUK and work is well underway to build the country's first major invertebrate park at the site, previously the home of the Great Witchingham Wildlife Park.

He is hoping to have the park open by the end of May, dependent on building work, but in the meantime people can get a taster of what to expect in the café.

The site will begin with three visitor centres with 15 zones where people can see all different types of creatures, ranging from tarantulas to millipedes, alongside a gift shop and the café.

"Visitors will have never seen 95pc of the insects before, not like a normal zoo where you can see lions and tigers elsewhere."

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Update from BugzUK FB page.

just 2 weeks till we open the doors to the new BugzUK invertebrate parc. just about finished the disabled toilet but loads still to do to get it all ready. The cafe has been open for a few weeks now and is a great place to sit outside with your lunch in the sun. The parc side of the website should be finished later in the day on monday 16th next week so we can start to accept bookings on the internet or by phone......there will be limited numbers over the half term week when we open so that staff can get used to visitors arriving and we can see how the visitor centres cope with people !!!!!!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Another new story in the local media today.

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/business/bugzuk-launch-may-2022-8962884

In just two weeks' time an insect park boasting 200 different species of minibeasts will throw open its doors to the public.

Martin French launched BugzUK more than 20 years ago in a shed in his garden and now has a five-acre tropical invertebrate park to his name.

"There are more arthropods in the world than any other thing, yet we're one of the only parks solely dedicated to them."

One of the main attractions is the ant colony, kitted out with a liana - or climbing vine - and plastic tubes so visitors can watch the tiny insects in action.

Mr French added: "The colony started off with around 3,000 ants, and needs to get to about half a million before we open it up on May 28."

kw-bugz-may-2022-6.jpg

Latest posts