• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bugs!

Jlom86

What do I do about little gnat like bugs growing in my tarantulas water bowl?
20190516_155552.jpg

nedaK

What do I do about little gnat like bugs growing in my tarantulas water bowl? View attachment 37373
I would clean the water bowl. The water is most likely stagnant. Also if the enclosure is near an open window the gnats might have entered through there, so you should close it if that is the case. The main thing you should do is clean the water bowl and check in with me or someone with a little bit more experience if the problem continues.

Jlom86

I would clean the water bowl. The water is most likely stagnant. Also if the enclosure is near an open window the gnats might have entered through there, so you should close it if that is the case. The main thing you should do is clean the water bowl and check in with me or someone with a little bit more experience if the problem continues.
Ok thank you for your help!

Tnoob

I meant, that you just cook the whole enclosure if it's all glass and metal, but yeah, that too. They have to go.

Tnoob

I suppose I just don't like the idea of my tarantula sharing homes, and I don't know much about spingtails. Isn't there another bug that's bad?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I suppose I just don't like the idea of my tarantula sharing homes, and I don't know much about spingtails. Isn't there another bug that's bad?
yes we don't want mites-there bad for the Ts.....but they seem to thrive in damp conditions if your sub is really dry its never really an issue,
if the T in question needs to live in a damp environment having some springtails and isopods is beneficial to keeping a good,healthy environment for the T to live in..:)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Theres many types of mites....some good some bad. Parasitic mites which cling to the tarantula around the mouth area are bad. Dirt mites are fine as long as the number of them are kept in check. You can do a entire thread on mites....

Hydrophilus

3 Year Member
Yeah, those look like springtails, as others have stated. They're pretty helpful additions if you have any moisture in your enclosure since they eat fungus. They can walk around on stagnant water. If you want to confirm their ID, try poking at them with something or otherwise disturbing them. They'll start hopping around.