• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding and eating or not?

Phobik1

3 Year Member
I recently paired my G Grossa's together once. On valentines Day. Saw a couple of good insertions. They came together and got busy immediately and for about 10 minutes they moved about her cage doin their thing. All of a sudden she broke away and he scrammed. They were done.
My female ate a couple of weeks in a row and then stopped. She has refused the last 3 weeks. Don't the females eat heavy after mating? She does'nt look like she is in pre molt and she is sitting in her usual spot. Any ideas as to what is happening?

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Been keeping her at room temp, as w all my Ts. Stayin between 68 and 80 here in SoCal. I didnt know about cooling down.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some species need a cool down period to entice them to drop a sack. I cool my room down to the mid 60s for a couple of weeks then slowly raise the temperature over a few days to simulate the breeding season. I also will over water at this time to help entice her to drop.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some species need a cool down period to entice them to drop a sack. I cool my room down to the mid 60s for a couple of weeks then slowly raise the temperature over a few days to simulate the breeding season. I also will over water at this time to help entice her to drop.
Same for GBB?

Phobik1

3 Year Member
So her stopping her eating isnt unusual? I was ready to rehouse her in a larger tub. I could do that and create i bit mor humidity. When is a T like a Grammastola due to drop a sac after pairing?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So her stopping her eating isnt unusual? I was ready to rehouse her in a larger tub. I could do that and create i bit mor humidity. When is a T like a Grammastola due to drop a sac after pairing?
Theres no set date after pairing to drop a sack. I've personally seen sacks drop 11 months after the pairing. The sperm is still good until the female activates it.

Latest posts