• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

U.K. brachypelma smithi juvenile

Lsly

Hello,
I’m looking to purchase my first tarantula and have my heart set on a brachypelma smithi juvenile.

Please message me if you have one available.

Many Thanks
Lesley

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The spider shop, who are a very trust worthy dealer have some smithi slings (spiderlings) for £16. But at the moment they are not posting anything out due to the low temperatures. Proving they are good guys.

My wife has 2 or maybe more slings on order with them & is waiting for things to warm up, so they will post to her.

Smithi are not one of the easily available Brachy's, so maybe an email to someone like the spider shop & ask, or go onto their FB page & ask there, if your post here does not help you. Spider shop are in my experience very helpful.

Lsly

The spider shop, who are a very trust worthy dealer have some smithi slings (spiderlings) for £16. But at the moment they are not posting anything out due to the low temperatures. Proving they are good guys.

My wife has 2 or maybe more slings on order with them & is waiting for things to warm up, so they will post to her.

Smithi are not one of the easily available Brachy's, so maybe an email to someone like the spider shop & ask, or go onto their FB page & ask there, if your post here does not help you. Spider shop are in my experience very helpful.
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I did see they have slings but hoped for a little bigger as it’ll be my first tarantula. I’ve sent them a message to check. Appreciate the help.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I did see they have slings but hoped for a little bigger as it’ll be my first tarantula. I’ve sent them a message to check. Appreciate the help.
Can I just ask why you are looking for a smithi as your first tarantula and not a B. Hamorii? :)
As mentioned above smithi are much harder to find and more expensive than a hamorii? You'll have much more luck finding a juvie hamorii which is still the classic 'orange knee tarantula' most people find it difficult to tell the difference between the 2 anyway? :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought they do worldwide shipping. I bought a bird eater there but it arrived perfectly fine.
You got lucky - heard so much bad stuff about them.. I'm sure there's a thread about them on the review page for vendors /sellers on here
What the Op is looking for can be found in the UK so I don't think there's any need to try to seek one from the US most places will not ship to or from the UK to the US and vice versa :)

Lsly

Can I just ask why you are looking for a smithi as your first tarantula and not a B. Hamorii? :)
As mentioned above smithi are much harder to find and more expensive than a hamorii? You'll have much more luck finding a juvie hamorii which is still the classic 'orange knee tarantula' most people find it difficult to tell the difference between the 2 anyway? :)
I did originally look into Hamorii, they are still an option. But I liked the slighter brighter appearance of the Smithie. I would again still be looking for a juvi, so keeping an eye out on anything available between the two.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I did originally look into Hamorii, they are still an option. But I liked the slighter brighter appearance of the Smithie. I would again still be looking for a juvi, so keeping an eye out on anything available between the two.
The smithi won't be brighter all the time.. Not until maturity anyway, we own several of both and the difference in the juvies is minimal - there's a decent price difference between the smithi and hamorii too as the smithi is much harder to find
good luck in your search i do believe I saw juvie hamorii on spider planet website recently? He is UK based and I highly recommend them so might be worth a look :)

Lsly

The smithi won't be brighter all the time.. Not until maturity anyway, we own several of both and the difference in the juvies is minimal - there's a decent price difference between the smithi and hamorii too as the smithi is much harder to find
good luck in your search i do believe I saw juvie hamorii on spider planet website recently? He is UK based and I highly recommend them so might be worth a look :)
Oooh that you, I’ll have a look.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The other advantage with a hamorii is, you will probably find an adult female, for a similar price to a juvi smithi. And there, from my experience, with certain dealers. Is a reasonably good chance that any Juvi is going to be male, unlike with a sling from them. Not that I am suggesting any reputable dealer would sell suspected males as unsexed, as they are worth more. But it certainly seems to happen with some dealers more often than is chance.

There are good reasons for buying T's from dealers like the spider shop, Portsmouth Tarantulas, so many legs etc & not from cheaper sources. Tarantulas are not expensive in the UK & good dealers deserve our support.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Another point worth mentioning. Just over a year ago I brought a small Brachypelma albiceps from someone local who was downsizing. She was an OK looking T, but nothing like a hamorii etc. Then suddenly, just before Christmas & sometime after her last molt. She suddenly changed from an OK looking T, to a beautiful T. I do not know what caused the change, it was not a molt, but one feeding evening, we took the lid off & she just looked lovely.

As ilovebrachys said, Juvi's are not always the best looking T's.

Lsly

That’s great thanks so much for your input. I’ve got everything on order minus the spider, but think I’m going to opt from the one on spider planet. Just super excited now.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The other advantage with a hamorii is, you will probably find an adult female, for a similar price to a juvi smithi. And there, from my experience, with certain dealers. Is a reasonably good chance that any Juvi is going to be male, unlike with a sling from them. Not that I am suggesting any reputable dealer would sell suspected males as unsexed, as they are worth more. But it certainly seems to happen with some dealers more often than is chance.

There are good reasons for buying T's from dealers like the spider shop, Portsmouth Tarantulas, so many legs etc & not from cheaper sources. Tarantulas are not expensive in the UK & good dealers deserve our support.
Totally agree with you :)
Good dealers always deserve our support the online shops you've mentioned above are all fantastic :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That’s great thanks so much for your input. I’ve got everything on order minus the spider, but think I’m going to opt from the one on spider planet. Just super excited now.
That's great news - emil from Spider Planet always gives fantastic service I can't recommend him enough :)
Enjoy your new T when it arrives :)

Latest posts