• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma albopilosum buried herself?

DreadedNeith

So I just got a Brachypelma albopilosum a few days ago nd she worked all night digging out under her hide. When I checked on her in the morning she had completely sealed herself in her hide. She did eat 3 crickets the day before she started digging. I know they sometimes do this but I have some questions.

Could she be in molt or premolt?
Should I drop a cricket or dubia in every once in a while?
Should I mist the cage and how often?
Is there ever a time when I should dig her out to check on her?
How long should I leave her there before I start to worry?
Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
I've included some pics so you have an idea of her size.

Attachments

• 20190709_192141.jpg
    20190709_192141.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190708_221701.jpg
    20190708_221701.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20190707_193924.jpg
    20190707_193924.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 39

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Digging is what Brachypelma albopilosum do best so don't worry. If you're lucky it will dig to the side of the container so you can see it at work. Feed it every week but there's no need to mist as long as there is a water bowl available.

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
Let me rephrase that...never feed a spider that's sealed off its burrow. ;)

Hmmm.. My B. Albo burrowed a couple weeks back and sealed it off but has come out to feed on pre killed dubias i have left in its enclosure. Should I not be doing this even though 'she/he' is still feeding? Im assuming its in pre molt but fig theres no harm leaving pre killed prey in there?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a Sahydroaraneus raja that I have seen once in 2 years, it has no burrow opening whatsoever, no disturbance on the surface at all. I do know when a moult is imminent as the food is not eaten overnight at which point I remove it. Using @Arachnoclowns rule that T would have starved to death by now surely.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Huntzman90 Talking about terrestrial tarantulas only....a sealed off hole means do not disturb. Prekilled food isnt a bad way trying to determine if it's in premolt or not. Throwing live prey into a enclosure to a terrestial tarantula that's burrowed in premolt is reckless. Pre killed prey would be the responsible thing to do in your situation.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a Sahydroaraneus raja that I have seen once in 2 years, it has no burrow opening whatsoever, no disturbance on the surface at all. I do know when a moult is imminent as the food is not eaten overnight at which point I remove it. Using @Arachnoclowns rule that T would have starved to death by now surely.
We were talking about a Brachypelma albopilosum originally. A known pet hole has different feeding requirements and precautions to look at. A dwarf pet hole like your example, I'd be exceptionally leary about just tossing live prey in there due to never seeing it. Hysterocrates gigas or a Pelinobius muticus I'd be a little less leary. Also the world record is 3 years without food so chances it wouldnt have starved yet. ;)

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
@Huntzman90 Talking about terrestrial tarantulas only....a sealed off hole means do not disturb. Prekilled food isnt a bad way trying to determine if it's in premolt or not. Throwing live prey into a enclosure to a terrestial tarantula that's burrowed in premolt is reckless. Pre killed prey would be the responsible thing to do in your situation.

Ok that makes sense.. Its hard to tell wether its sealed off its burrow or is just loose substrate blocking the entrance. I figured it would leave the roach if it wasnt hungry but its still eating.. It also has been eating up until it molts in previous cases so maybe its already in pre molt.

But yea my C. Laeta will completely web up the entrance of its burrow so quite obvious when its in premolt, and usually stops eating weeks prior to molting.

DreadedNeith

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a bit more comfortable with this now. I'll leave her alone for a while. She just ate 3 crickets before hiding so I'll wait a week or so then try giving her some pre kill. She's got fresh water and I always make sure she has water so looks like it's a waiting game. Maybe I'll get a molt. I'd love to be able to sex her.

Latest posts