• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma Albipilosum Burrow

Evestri

Hello all,

As a way of introducing myself to this forum, first I should say that I am a college student based out of CA who has recently gotten into the hobby of tarantula keeping. I bought a .75" B. Albipilosum about 5 months ago during a local exotic pet expo and have been quite happy with my new pet, although I have a few questions regarding its care. Luckily, it has been eating a diet of meal worms and has molted twice so far with no incident.

My first question is, what substrate is best for my tarantula? I have been using a 100% peat moss substrate and keeping it dry. Is the Albipiosum OK having little moisture? Humidity around my house is typically in the 40-50% range but the critter-keeper i have it in has rad ventilation.

Secondly, I have had it in .5" of peat moss and have been considering increasing its substrate depth to 4" so it can make a good burrow. Should I go ahead increasing its substrate or should I keep it they way it is? I've heard that juevnile and sling T's often like to burrow.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
4" of substrate will be a little much for a sling the size of yours. I'd stick to around a 1" of coco fiber. Anything more then that and your next thread is going to be you cand find your sling.;)
15721447642542196099627499280440.jpg

This is a 1" Brachypelma vagans. I can always find him when its burrowed. This makes life on me alot easier come to feeding and watering.
15721450896477317908463069660088.jpg

Heres a 3" Brachypelma Sabulosum with just a little over a inch of substrate. He has plenty of substrate to burrow.
15721454880244228867265954681878.jpg

This is a 5" gravid female Brachypelma albopilosum that has about 2.5" of substrate. Shes happy burrowing inside of her cave hide.
Deep substrate will cause havoc with new spider owners.
Good luck

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello all,

As a way of introducing myself to this forum, first I should say that I am a college student based out of CA who has recently gotten into the hobby of tarantula keeping. I bought a .75" B. Albipilosum about 5 months ago during a local exotic pet expo and have been quite happy with my new pet, although I have a few questions regarding its care. Luckily, it has been eating a diet of meal worms and has molted twice so far with no incident.

My first question is, what substrate is best for my tarantula? I have been using a 100% peat moss substrate and keeping it dry. Is the Albipiosum OK having little moisture? Humidity around my house is typically in the 40-50% range but the critter-keeper i have it in has rad ventilation.

Secondly, I have had it in .5" of peat moss and have been considering increasing its substrate depth to 4" so it can make a good burrow. Should I go ahead increasing its substrate or should I keep it they way it is? I've heard that juevnile and sling T's often like to burrow.

Hello and welcome to the hobby :)
Everything @Arachnoclown says is good advice all I would add is that Brachypelmas are happy being kept dry.