• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bite question

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've only been bit by one T...a 6" Avicularia avicularia pinktoe. She jumped from her cage onto my arm...normal behavior for her. When she landed on my arm she started to slide and she sunk her fangs into me to stop. It hurt like hell because she wouldn't let go...like a normal strike. I had to actually grab her off my arm. I'd still call her a docile spider...human, tree no difference to her.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've only been bit by one T...a 6" Avicularia avicularia pinktoe. She jumped from her cage onto my arm...normal behavior for her. When she landed on my arm she started to slide and she sunk her fangs into me to stop. It hurt like hell because she wouldn't let go...like a normal strike. I had to actually grab her off my arm. I'd still call her a docile spider...human, tree no difference to her.
Ive heard that sp will use its fang for leverage before.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I took my sorry ass to hospital haha the pain was CONSTANT! The first feeling I remember was the fangs going into my finger, oh Jesus I don’t recommend! Then it was like a red hot thick needle going in through my finger and up my arm! I was taken aback at just how quickly I knew I got juiced, armpit on fire! I’ve never been in so much pain which is something considering the bones I’ve broke lol... After x-ray and being gassed I was told to go to sleep until the toxicology guy got to work haha I just walked out then about 6am... I couldn’t walk the day after that, cramps in my legs were intense for around 3 weeks, Kenobi got me good!
Jesus man..new world bites don't even approach that kind of pain. I was slightly put out..pain wise I'd say 5 out of ten initially, receding to 2 after half an hour, leaving nothing but tenderness at the site around 6 hrs later..throbbing, ignorable pain. Your description of obt venom fits with everything I've ever read about it..they bring the real pain, those old worlds. Its funny to me that we, as humans, have to test them ourselves. I wanted to know, very much, for years, what it was like. I really don't anymore..the reports are very similar.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, those are supposed to be bad bites as well. Tbh they creep me out. I tried to like them, but any animal that will bite another large predator out of curiosity scares me..
Its funny you mention that last bit(no pun intended). I saw a video on facebook of a larger size pede attacking and killing a nice sized snake. I think some are cool looking. But im not intersted in having one myself. Lil devils haha

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jesus man..new world bites don't even approach that kind of pain. I was slightly put out..pain wise I'd say 5 out of ten initially, receding to 2 after half an hour, leaving nothing but tenderness at the site around 6 hrs later..throbbing, ignorable pain. Your description of obt venom fits with everything I've ever read about it..they bring the real pain, those old worlds. Its funny to me that we, as humans, have to test them ourselves. I wanted to know, very much, for years, what it was like. I really don't anymore..the reports are very similar.
I gor stung in the ear by a yellowjacket 2 years ago. It wasnt to bad. At first id say the same as you mass with a new world a 5 then dropped after 2hours. Tho i did feel dizzy and like I was going to puke for a few hours. But i figured that was due to the location of the sting kinda close to the brain. Lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its funny you mention that last bit(no pun intended). I saw a video on facebook of a larger size pede attacking and killing a nice sized snake. I think some are cool looking. But im not intersted in having one myself. Lil devils haha
I had a very large one. I gave him away. They remind me of crickets. And sharks. No intelligence beyond instinctive feeding. I know, I know, tarantulas aint much better..but at least they have common sense and self preservation instincts..at least, I strongly believe they do.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I left out the infection I got in my elbow afterwards, I couldn’t move my arm going on six weeks... Don’t get bit... My advice
Do me a favor brother, put that in bite reports. It needs to be known. I know AB has all that ****, but we need it here too. An infection two feet from the bite site is not something Ive read about before, iirc. It matters to all of us.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I also with @Shampain. I remember when that bite happened. I was talking with you prior through emails. @MassExodus, @Shampain sent me a small clip right after the bite happened and I could hear the pain in his voice with what he was able to formulate . It was enough for me to feel general concern and worry for him and his well being. It made me never want to get tagged by one EVER!!
[

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Serious pain. But not life threatening. Pain is life, and life is pain. One way or the other. Don't let it affect your thoughts or actions. Fear is what diminishes people. Fear and shame. Useless emotions, those two anyways.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ive heard that sp will use its fang for leverage before.
I do think it was a dry bite though...no symptoms like a bee sting. No itching mass swelling ect. I've never been bitten before so I can only compare it to a bee sting. It felt like 2 fishing hooks stuck in my arm. I basically only had swollen puncture wounds that were gone in a few days.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Serious pain. But not life threatening. Pain is life, and life is pain. One way or the other. Don't let it affect your thoughts or actions. Fear is what diminishes people. Fear and shame. Useless emotions, those two anyways.
I do think it was a dry bite though...no symptoms like a bee sting. No itching mass swelling ect. I've never been bitten before so I can only compare it to a bee sting. It felt like 2 fishing hooks stuck in my arm. I basically only had swollen puncture wounds that were gone in a few days.
that's good you didn't get blast with venom. I havent been bit yet by my Ts yet. All my other animals have atleast once tho,haha!

Logan D

3 Year Member
the guy I got my P.Metallica female said this was the aftermath of the bite from her (The bite itself didn't hurt (like a bee sting). It's the after effects that messed me up -- severe cramps and muscle convulsions for a week, semi-paralysis for 3 days (had to walk on crutches), hearing impairment for 1.5 months. Probably the worst pain I'd ever felt were the muscle spasms every hour, felt like they were gonna snap off the bone)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I downloaded this to my phone.

My T stirmi wants to kill me and my L klugi thinks I'm an extension of and feeder.

Wish me luck.

My OWs just turn and run into the hides when I open the cage, unless I'm cleaning it and pull the decor.

Last edited:

Tnoob

Sorry Shampain but I think it's neccessary to get everyone up to speed on what you are talking about. :T:

Lmfao! When "not a true scottsman" goes bad. P murinus is so beautiful. I've gotta be nucking futs for picking two old worlds as my first.