• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bio-active enclosure lighting

prince charmless

can anyone recommend good lighting to use that can keep (low light) plants alive without upsetting the tarantulas too much. Making preparations to set up a 24x18x12 exo-terra for a 6"+ T. Stirmi. Want to have everything on hand, including the lighting, before the final rehouse. I am also concerned about keeping plants alive in enclosures occupied by more light sensitive species like Poecilotherias. Just been exploring bio-actives the last six months or so. I want to be able set up healthy and attractive displays that the Ts can thrive in, especially some of my more pricey SE asian variaties.

Nurse Ratchet

You can find cheaper for fewer strips, like 3 strips for $18 on Amazon. They are dimmable and have timer option for 4, 8 or 12 hrs. I use them on my bioactive and on my plant propagation. Just search for "grow light, daisy chain". Lots of options

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_180517960.jpg
    IMG_20220117_180517960.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220117_180453633.jpg
    IMG_20220117_180453633.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20220117-180615.png
    Screenshot_20220117-180615.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Depends on what you want to spend and how automated you want it to be. I HIGHLY recommend the Fluval aquarium plant lights. Beautiful results! They run a little warm so what I did was mount them to the underside of the shelves. The phone app works great too. They aren't cheap though. Also if you do go that route, start at a super low intensity, like 25%. It's very easy to burn plants as these are rated to go through water.

You can message me if you'd like more detail and I can give you some detail on my current set up too ;)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am using exo terra natural light 13w (with the exo terra canopy) on a timer for all my bio-active setups. Using red leds strips as well to check on the Ts at night.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Depends on what you want to spend and how automated you want it to be. I HIGHLY recommend the Fluval aquarium plant lights. Beautiful results! They run a little warm so what I did was mount them to the underside of the shelves. The phone app works great too. They aren't cheap though. Also if you do go that route, start at a super low intensity, like 25%. It's very easy to burn plants as these are rated to go through water.

You can message me if you'd like more detail and I can give you some detail on my current set up too ;)
Can you run more than one set of Fluval lights off the app? I am using the Fluval Nano on a small enclosure housing three of my slings (in separate acrylic enclosures) and might like to try it on a larger set up as well. I like the idea of the app to control light levels.

To answer my question, apparently you can as there is a way for you to have a specific light blink if you need to ID which light you are using if you have multiple lights on.

I went online to see. Should have done that first.

Last edited:

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Can you run more than one set of Fluval lights off the app? I am using the Fluval Nano on a small enclosure housing three of my slings (in separate acrylic enclosures) and might like to try it on a larger set up as well. I like the idea of the app to control light levels.

To answer my question, apparently you can as there is a way for you to have a specific light blink if you need to ID which light you are using if you have multiple lights on.
Yes, I ran 2 Nanos, a couple Aquaskys , and a couple plant. Worked out really well ;)

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
The plant lights are quite a bit stronger/more powerful , along with more led colors. Each color is controllable also.

Look up Bentley Pascoe on YouTube. He does some very deep reviews. Fluval even directs people his direction. Just remember to keep your intensity really low

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, I ran 2 Nanos, a couple Aquaskys , and a couple plant. Worked out really well ;)
Great and thanks. Fluval calls their “red” lights pink and they do seem less red than the Finnex lights I also have (although I am not a big fan of their remotes)

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Yes, not sure what the pink wave length is but it's nothing like some of the others deep red I've seen. The Fluvals did the job very well.

Latest posts