• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best way to get into breeding?

NukaMedia Exotics

3 Year Member
As my collection is getting to a substantial size I'm wondering what the best way to go about breeding/trading/selling tarantulas is, and if its something I want to get into. If anyone has some starter tips or experience to share I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use to trade my males out...after 35 years I've decided to give breeding a chance. I've got 2 sacks now...one I'm going to pull in a week or so. I've got 7 breeding pairs now...some pairs have multiple males just in case. This year should be interesting. Ive just watched tons of videos from different breeders and read tons of threads in forums. I don't have any advice towards the breeding part since I'm in ankles deep as a newbie myself.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am new to the breeding scene myself, I just did my first pairing a month ago (Harpactira dictator), and one thing I learned during the 1h 10min of breeding is always be prepared in case you need to intervene. You need to ask yourself the following questions:

1. Are you sure you really want to breed?

2. Are you equipped to care for hundreds of slings?

3. If you end up with too many slings that do not sell or are not traded off, do you have a backup plan to part with that large number of remaining slings?

These questions I asked myself before I even attempted this first pairing, so far I've answered two of the three.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Just start breeding. Jump in. Find a retailer to sell slings to if you don't want to raise them all yourself and you're willing to take a big cut in profit. I sell most of my sacs all to the same person for a ridiculous discount because I don't have the time to deal with hundreds of slings. I make a big chunk of money all at once, but not as much as I could if I kept them and sold them at retail prices myself. The more variety you have, the easier it is to make sales. People like to buy a lot to save on shipping. I wait to make sales posts until I have enough variety to make my stuff appealing.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Something to consider is local tarantulas, if you have any. You can release the slings in your yard if there's too many. Just take a piece of rebar after it rains and make a plethora of pre made tunnels for them, and spread them out so they aren't eating each other. Keep what you want, release what you dont.

awareman

3 Year Member
Something to consider is local tarantulas, if you have any. You can release the slings in your yard if there's too many. Just take a piece of rebar after it rains and make a plethora of pre made tunnels for them, and spread them out so they aren't eating each other. Keep what you want, release what you dont.

This is okay if the species are native to your area. NEVER introduce species to the wild that are not typically found in your area. They can become invasive, compete with native wildlife, and disrupt the ecosystem.

Latest posts