• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner scorpions?

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
So I like inverts, but I don’t have a scorpion. Looking to change that. Since this will be my first (besides an emperor that escaped his tub and drowned a few years back, now they’re near impossible to find), I’d like an easy one, one that doesn’t have potent venom, and can fit in a 12x12x12” Exo Terra. All suggestions are welcome.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hadogenes troglodytes or Hadogenes paucidens, the olive keeled flat rock scorpion. My personal favorite. Weak venom, mine gets a little pinchy though when she's in a bad mood. Dry species, clay/sand and lots of rocks, they're happy. My big female eats pretty regularly, and is rarely caught drinking. They hide. She likes to sit under a narrow ledge in the hunting/ready position, just showing the tips of her claws. I've handled her several times, and she's pinched me a few times. Nothing bad but they have a strong pinch. It startles you. She's never shown the slightest inclination to sting me. I need to get a few more..they are the epitome of low maintenance, and while mine does hide in her two favorite spots, she comes out occasionaly, as long as the room is quiet and still. Couldn't recommend them more.

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
They sound great! I’ll definitely see if I can find one at the next expo! Arachnophiliacs usually carries a pretty wide variety of scorpions, they should have them.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would recommend a species that comes from a desert or arid environment. They require a lot less maintenance. I have lost a couple of tropical species over the years and I maintain my collection rigorously. They absolutely require the proper humidity and water in the enclosure which can be a pain. Other than that, I find almost all scorpions are great "beginner" inverts and the only other factor to be concerned about is the venom potency.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've had many emperors over the years, but those are much more expensive and hard to find now-a-days. A friend just gave me 10 little asian forest scorplings recently and I'm enjoying them tremendously. So far they seem pretty similar in care and maintenance to the emperors I had before.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would recommend a species that comes from a desert or arid environment. They require a lot less maintenance. I have lost a couple of tropical species over the years and I maintain my collection rigorously. They absolutely require the proper humidity and water in the enclosure which can be a pain. Other than that, I find almost all scorpions are great "beginner" inverts and the only other factor to be concerned about is the venom potency.
Agreed. Some species are delicate. I've lost a few of those as well. I like dry sp, they're tough as, or tougher than, tarantulas.