• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bedding substrate

Bshelly101

Hey guys, I’m a noobie t owner I have avic avic Metallica female pink toe 4 inches what kind of substrate should she have a have cork bark in there for her to hide inside and I’m really concerned because inside her 12 by 12 eco terra glass enclosure the thermometer says says 63 i live in North America they said no direct sunlight or light of sorts and I put at small heating pad on the left side enclosure and it goes up in the daytime but at night time it drops what should I do I’m scared it might die or have problem molting

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What is you're daytime temp? 63 is a little low for nightime temp, I would bring it up a bit, to 68-70 range. Substrate can be eco earth or jungle mix, any spider approved substrate. And they love having cover and things to climb on or web to.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey guys, I’m a noobie t owner I have avic avic Metallica female pink toe 4 inches what kind of substrate should she have a have cork bark in there for her to hide inside and I’m really concerned because inside her 12 by 12 eco terra glass enclosure the thermometer says says 63 i live in North America they said no direct sunlight or light of sorts and I put at small heating pad on the left side enclosure and it goes up in the daytime but at night time it drops what should I do I’m scared it might die or have problem molting
Drop kick the heating pad into the nearest body of water along with the thermometer, because there is a good chance it is inaccurate. If you want supplemental heating, space heaters are the way to go.

Eco earth coco fiber or the cheapest top soil you can find at home depot will be perfect for use as substrate.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually, I know several long time keepers that use heating mats. I have a few, I just don't need them now. They're not dangerous when used right. I would be more concerned with the space heater burning my house down. Happens every year..
An accurate way to measure temp is an infrared thermometer. $13.00 on amazon. Also, space heaters are not an option for some folks. Take Australia for example. Anyone seen how much the average Aussie has to pay a month for electricity? I haven't dug into it yet, but it sounds like they're having a financial crisis. Ask @Dave Jay if he ever comes back. He'll give you an earfull for even saying the word "space heater".

Latest posts