• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Balfouri hatch out (with mom)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Several months ago one of my adult female M balfouri laid a sac unobtrusively against the side of the enclosure and I didn't see her fill it up with eggs, it just looked like the rest of her webbing.

Well, it hatched out and now there were about 50+ slings in there with her, maybe more...
PXL_20210717_223307746.MP.jpg

That was back in July. Being early-to-mid Sept now, these guys have been growing communally with mom and they are around 1/2" +/- each now. I separated 5 early on and those did not grow was quickly or well as the ones raised with mom and their sac mates. Lesson learned.

I feed them maimed/disabled roaches about twice a week and they rip them apart to share. Here are some pics after today's feeding:
PXL_20210911_173446213.MP.jpg
PXL_20210911_184510075.MP.jpg

I fed mom at the mouth of the burrow after her slings got the first batch of roaches and now she's out cleaning herself.

Can't wait to harvest slings lol, that will be fun!

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’m surprised they don’t escape from the vent holes.
I’d be worried I’d be spotting babies all over the house
They are very "attached" to mom and the environment she created and maintains for them by constantly webbing the enclosure. They literally can't climb much for the first few instars beyond her webbing. By the time most spiderlings would venture out on their own they are pretty much self sufficient, in my experience.

x_raphael_xx

They are very "attached" to mom and the environment she created and maintains for them by constantly webbing the enclosure. They literally can't climb much for the first few instars beyond her webbing. By the time most spiderlings would venture out on their own they are pretty much self sufficient, in my experience.
That's reasurring :)