• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. vagans Questions

mak_manning3

Hey guys! So I’ve always read that B. vagans are known to burrow but mine doesn’t and it’s concerning me. I’ve only had her a few weeks so I’ve tried giving her time to adjust and figured maybe she would eventually but so far, no. Her substrate is mostly coco fiber with some peat moss.. maybe I should change it??? She’s also acted a little strange the past few days. Instead of hiding like usual she has been out but laying on the grown (abdomen touching the ground and all) or either she’ll go to the side of her tank and bunch herself up. Not like deathcurl but she’s still bringing those legs in more and just looks uncomfortable. This morning I found her with her butt in the air, spinnerets straight up and had webbed all over everything. Really unusual posture for her. I’m new to all of this and just want to make sure she’s ok. I’ll attach pictures of how she was this morning!
Thanks,
MaK

mak_manning3

Here are some pics of her from this morning.

Attachments

• F5A4B9C3-96F7-46C0-AFF6-0DF3D18E277B.jpeg
    F5A4B9C3-96F7-46C0-AFF6-0DF3D18E277B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 5E260C00-4E2B-4301-8463-F0A93EDF8123.jpeg
    5E260C00-4E2B-4301-8463-F0A93EDF8123.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 54A705F8-4E2A-45EE-B906-72DD82CF3428.jpeg
    54A705F8-4E2A-45EE-B906-72DD82CF3428.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 5B8A3B5B-3AEB-4241-BC73-F33EA579064C.jpeg
    5B8A3B5B-3AEB-4241-BC73-F33EA579064C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 8EBFCA08-A917-4BB9-BCBD-A271203C0767.jpeg
    8EBFCA08-A917-4BB9-BCBD-A271203C0767.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

Nunua

3 Year Member
She seems to be all fine. Tarantulas take various time to settle down in the new environment - Think it this way: You've been thrown in the middle of an unknown place. You see various lights and shadows around you and feel the ground shaking. Sometimes wind blows and moves your hair. You'd be uneasy as well, at least for a while until you'll learn what seems to be normal around you ;)

Tliltocatl (Ex. Brachypelma) vagans do burrow sometimes, more often when being small, but most of the time juveniles and adults just hang around where ever they want to. Substrate also is totally fine, so no need to change it.

I'd say it's just a good sign that she has webbed up everything because that's how she gets familiar with the enclosure. Webbing is an important way to amplify vibrations around her and get to know what is happening.

Mattkc

3 Year Member
The vagans requires a little different set up than your traditional Brachy (Tlitocatl). Their natural environment is more a forest/jungle where it usually rains regularly, or at least seasonally - in contrast to the arid desert climate most Brachy's are found. I have not only observed these T's in their native environment but have raised and breed this species for years with them thriving with more moisture in their enclosure. You can do this with a shallow container (usually a clean plastic lid) with fresh spring water that she can literally climb into to drink or absorb water - avoid tap water due to added chlorine and chemicals. Then get a spray bottle and thoroughly moisten all the coco fiber (which is a good ground cover) around the water container, as well as spray 1/4 of the enclosure where the water lid is to maintain cyclical higher humidity levels. The coco fiber will dry our in less than a week depending on saturation and your ventilation (especially during winter with the dry heat from your AC system). Continue to moisten the coco fiber once a week around the the water lid and routinely replace spring water in lid as needed.
In regards to burrowing - for the most part this species is an opportunistic burrower - In there natural habitat you will mostly find them in shallow burrows under a rock or other structure. They are considered terrestrial with the majority of the ones I raised staying out on display most of the time - which is a good thing unless you enjoy looking at a hole in your T's cage! I always provide my T's with a hide which provides them with the needed security without encouraging them to burrow - usually an appropriate size plastic container cut in half to create a shallow tunnel/burrow. I prefer using plastic rather than wood to lessen the chance of mold growth and mites in a higher humidity environment. this also provides them a perch to stand on if it wants to get away from the dry/wet coco fiber or food items running around its cage.
Have fun with your new T - if its female she'll be around for a long time to enjoy!

New2T’s

3 Year Member
I have 2 Vagans. Neither has ever burrowed or stayed in their hide. They are always out in the open. One is a male that just matured and the other should mature this molt. He’s premolt. They can be a little skittish, but they never kick hairs. The one MM is with my friend right now being paired to his female.
Don’t worry is your Vagans isn’t burrowing. I’ve always heard they stay out in the open most of the time.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My daughter has a mature female Vegans & it's very skittish & always flicks hair when you do anything within it's enclosure. . It is also always out in the open.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I can alway add a cork bark hollow buried with one end open , to give a natural affect and somewhere to hide .