• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. Smithi vs B. Hamorii

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Now that I have one of each, they are both the same size and they look identical. Can you really tell them apart or do you have to wait until they are adults?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Well thats a good question that I don’t have an answer to. I’m interested fo hear what others have to say about this.

I would be interested to know though what your B smithi was labeled when you bought it and if someone was selling hamorii under its’ old hobby label or if you got new smithi (which is ex annitha right?).

Its all so very confusing....

Edit:

Now that I’ve read your other posts, I can say most family pet shops don’t keep up in the slightest with things like species name changes. Unless you had the specific conversation with them about the name change I’d guess your smithi is a hamorii.

Last edited:

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Now that I’ve read your other posts, I can say most family pet shops don’t keep up in the slightest with things like species name changes. Unless you had the specific conversation with them about the name change I’d guess your smithi is a hamorii.

That is why I posted, I wanted to see if they are different or if I have two of the same.

Nunua

3 Year Member
I'm new in the hobby but as I am relatively interested in getting B. smithi (annitha), I did some research quite some time ago.
B. hamorii is remarkably smaller than B. smithi, but I don't know at what point the size difference starts to show.
Also, if I have understood right (I'm really not sure), B. hamorii tend to have "black line" on the first joint of pedipalps while B. smithi does not, and the knees of B. smithi seems to be brighter overall. B. smithi also may to have kind of "star-like" pattern on the carapace, or if not, they usually have more orange compared to B. hamorii.

I'm following the thread since I'm interested to see if I have studied from the reliable sources or just found all the wrong ones :D

Mr. P

3 Year Member
So what I am starting to gather is, at 3" I can't tell them apart so I may have to wait until they are adults to see any kind of difference either in size, markings or color.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I guess as a sling or juvi you are not guaranteed 100% exactly what you are getting.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm guessing that you have 2 hamorii.
This is one name change that is totally confusing and will be for many years simply because there will be Ts out there that were bought by their old classifications and owners unaware of the name changes. I can see many hybrids appearing as a result :(

Nunua

3 Year Member
Differences in pattern / color of the carapace could possible be noticeable on 3" juvie, but someone who actually knows these things will probably give you a better answer.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
After doing some more research here is what I have come across. I don't know how accuarate this is so take it as you wish. The B. Hamorii supposedly has more black on its carapace and dull orange especially on the lower leg segments (top). The B. Smithi will have a small amount of black on the carapace and much more defined and brighter orange on the legs (bottom).

All input is welcomed.

Brachypelma hamorii.JPG
Brachypelma smithi.JPG

Mr. P

3 Year Member
The two that I have are exactly like the second picture I posted above. Both of them have very little black on the carapace.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is only one person that I know of that would probably be able to give you the answer you are looking for, but I don't think he is a member of this forum.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The two that I have are exactly like the second picture I posted above. Both of them have very little black on the carapace.
2 actual B smithi's + 0 photos = big disappointment. :(
20161104_151148.jpg
20170420_151918.jpg
Both these are the same T...hamorri. She didn't darken up till 4". If your Ts are smaller than her you may have to wait to positively identify them. If they're larger I can identify them for you...ive had dozens of both of these species over the years.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
They are both around 3" and very similiar in color to your first photo. The first one I bought was purchased as a B. Hamorii and the scond was given to me as a B. Smithi. It really doesn't matter which one but it would be nice to know exactly what they are. With all the confusion in the past whith these two I guess I will find out in a few years as they mature.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are both around 3" and very similiar in color to your first photo. The first one I bought was purchased as a B. Hamorii and the scond was given to me as a B. Smithi. It really doesn't matter which one but it would be nice to know exactly what they are. With all the confusion in the past whith these two I guess I will find out in a few years as they mature.
Time will tell...;)

Latest posts